News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

HELP!

Started by HerrBenz, 31 January 2006, 10:11 PM

HerrBenz

Took the ol girl out tonight to streach her legs a lil.  BAD IDEA!  Seem I blew one of my cam tower bearings along with the cam on the passenger side.  Looks like she was starving for oil.  Any clue as to why?  Any one have any good sources for parts?

David

oscar

GEEZ, Sorry to hear that HerrBenz.  Have you taken the rocker cover off to have a look? What did you see?

Where abouts in the world are you? Someone may post info on a good workshop or parts dealer close to where you are.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

HerrBenz

Styria you always put thing in such an eliquant(sp) way!  ;D  The oil pressure has been fine the other times I've drove it.  The car has pretty much sat in the garage since obtaining it.  I had 2 other cars to drive.  Its the first half of the cam and bearings that were not getting oil  I kinda suspect the oil tube.  Thanks David

oscar

Oh shit!!!!!

I wonder whether you could get away with replacing just the front bearing.  Assuming the oil pressure's good, is this just a case of a blocked oil rail?  Has anyone been inside there recently and maybe not attached the rail properly to the feed?

oscar

Is that rust on the cam shaft and rocker arms.  Would it be right to presume that oil hasn't been fed to that part of the cam for a while rather than a sudden loss of lubrication when that bearing blew?  HerrBenz, did you notice if the lobes are worn compared to the lubricated ones?  One more question/tip, is the other side ok?

HerrBenz

Nope, not rust, its where they were scored form the heat.  The first bearing blew, I was lucky that the chunk remained inside the valve cover and didn't go into the timing chain.  The other side looks great, nice and oiled. 

oscar

Denis

Whatever you do, use NEW plastic connectors between the oil tube and the cam towers ! I would also do the other side : they come brittle with age, can leak or crack and not pass enough oil to lubricate the cams.

In your situation, I would look at all cam bearings and clean out the oil passages, replace the front bearing and hope for the best ...

Good luck !

Denis

Paris, France

HerrBenz

Well by the looks of it, 7-800 aught to button it up with just enough to fill up the tank.  LOL!

Thank for all your help and advice!!!

David (HerrBenz)
Still gritty my teeth!

HerrBenz

Well today is a new day, So I removed the oil filter and oil pan to check for anything that might have gotten through.  Nothing in the oil pan but the filter looks as if it took a hit from something?