News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

help!! Loud engine knocking noise... :(

Started by Ryan1980, 07 December 2008, 03:55 AM

s class

Thanks for the invite, but given that its a 20 hour flight, it could be tough to make it. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

WGB

I did the morning shift and removed the rockers and then we re-timed the engine.

Replaced the sliders and then I managed to drop the 16th and last rocker (The one beside the brake booster) into some unmentionable place by the steering box.

After about 30 minutes of looking with eyes and a magnet I had to leave for a family dinner but after I left TJ450 arrived and apparently found it and re-fitted it as well as the timing chain tensioner.

The motor now pulls through but I hope it proves damage free when ready for a restart..

Best of luck .

Bill

Ryan1980

Thanks heaps to bill and tim for helping me out, you guys are awesome, id be totally screwed without you!
I'm certianly learning a lot, and some things the hard way.

The car is ALMOST back together, and it does turn over with the starter motor, and there doesnt appear to be any strange noises!

However i cant start it... because i'm having a lot of trouble with this bloody distributor!
First stupid thing i did was snap the head off the bolt that holds the distributor in place :( I then took the part off that the bolt goes into, and tried to somehow remove what was left of the bolt. I have now totally destroyed this part (long story).
Anyone got a spare??

I then figured i could just put the distributor on without the bolt and just try to start it. But i cannot for the life of me get the damn distributor cap on! Is there some sort of trick to this? I seem to get one side on and then when i go to do the other side, it pops off!!

so frustrating but almost there!!

Ryan

Ryan1980

okay i did manage to start it, with the distributor cap just sitting on (not clamped on properly) and it ran - like crap... wouldnt idle, and was still making a knocking noise from the engine...

although it didnt seem as bad as before...

WGB

Your distributor was held on by a very ordinary 10mm headed bolt - usually there is a higher tensile allen key bolt fitted.

?What part have you actually nurgled?

The cap is a little fiddly to fit but it should when all is in place.

What you really need to do now is a compression test.

I had my compression tester with me yesterday but unfortunately ran out of time.

They are not particularly expensive to purchase and will tell you if you are dramatically down in compression on a cylinder or two.

Bill

Ryan1980

the part that the bolt goes into... you can actually take that off as well.

i cant for the life of me get this stupid cap on.

i'll borrow a compression tester - so i dont need the engine running at all do i?

WGB

To compression test all you need is plugs removed and a wide open throttle and crank over on the battery one cylinder at a time.

Follow the M-B 1-2-3-4 for the right bank and 5-6-7-8 for the left bank (passenger side) and write it all down.

Might help to have a friend as well as a charged battery.

Tell us the values you get - then we'll worry about the distributor.

Bill

TJ 450

Also, remember the valve clearances are overly excessive... the lifters will without doubt make a lot of racket and it will not run smoothly and I suspect this was the case before, too. If the distributor cap isn't on properly, the chances of smooth running are slim. As Bill says, a compression test is mandatory, as this will give a definitive answer to the questions regarding mangulated valves. ;) 8)

BTW your valve lifter is a very impressive tool, Bill. 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

WGB

Quote from: TJ 450 on 18 January 2009, 04:15 AM

BTW your valve lifter is a very impressive tool, Bill. 8)

Tim

Thanks Tim - it works well.

Ryan1980

Did a compression test... unfortunately it doesnt look good. The cylinder with the loose tappet has no reading at all :( nothing...

The other cylinders have readings of :

does this mean a bent valve??

13B

450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

Big_Richard

Ryan1980

well i think thats beyond my capabilities to fix that.

anyone looking to buy a 450SE??

(needs work)

CraigS

A second hand head shouldn't be that hard to find and not too expensive. I would try changing the head(s) and try again.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

Ryan1980

sounds like a big job, and i wouldnt know how to do that...

cant believe it happened, this is exactly what i wanted to avoid when i brought the car... the head had been completely rebuilt around 30,000kms ago...

i might just have to see what i can get for it.