News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Hello! New to me W116...

Started by The Warden, 21 March 2006, 02:34 AM

John Hubertz

I'm glad you read your email Warden - and here's to hoping your wobble is simply wheels that are off center or loose.

Yes, the rear wheel is a Mercedes wheel.

Better take a good look at your lug bolts as well - it is unlikely they aren't original but who knows?  Also confirm the wheels haven't torn any meat off the bolts by shifting while as the car was driven.

That's an incredible find - and worth every dollar you spend restoring it.  The colors are spot-on - any silver Mercedes is desireable as that is the factory racing color, and black interiors are the easiest to maintain and look spectacular.

Here's a picture of a silver SEL (slightly longer back doors) in good condition.... 

The rust you have is inconsequential in comparison to 90% of W116s...  just be sure you check the floorpans.  That 5 cylinder diesel was a technological marvel and thousands of that series of engines have gone 500,000 km or more - increasing the potential resale value of the car substantially. 

You also have an aluminum hood on that car - don't slam it with your palm or try to shove down on it hard.  Let the weight of the hood pull it down into the locked position by smartly tugging on the center of the chrome grill with your hand located near the star.  Oil your hinges, the hood release mechanism (under the dash too...use WD40) and graphite all the locks, especially the ignition lock.
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

The Warden

Quote from: John Hubertz on 24 March 2006, 04:15 PM
Yes, the rear wheel is a Mercedes wheel.

I'm surprised; I didn't think it would be. It must have just been a coincidence. According to my friend, his dad pulled the bundt-cakes that were originally on the car sometime in the summer of '04 and put these steel wheels on. He thought the wheels was just a cosmetic issue, and junkyard wheels/tires are cheaper than new tires, right? ::) Apparently, the original bundt-cakes were left at the junkyard, since my friend told me that the bundts I have now are NOT originally off this car. I have a picture of the car with bundts before they were pulled, and the spare is still the original bundt, though.

QuoteBetter take a good look at your lug bolts as well - it is unlikely they aren't original but who knows?  Also confirm the wheels haven't torn any meat off the bolts by shifting while as the car was driven.
Good point...actually, it wouldn't surprise me if the guy did replace them. The bolts that are there don't look too happy, just looking at the heads...they also look different than the bolts that are on my 123. Hmm, maybe I'll swap bolts before making the 123 disappear ;D

QuoteThat's an incredible find - and worth every dollar you spend restoring it.  The colors are spot-on - any silver Mercedes is desireable as that is the factory racing color, and black interiors are the easiest to maintain and look spectacular.

Here's a picture of a silver SEL (slightly longer back doors) in good condition....

That SEL's beautiful!! I didn't realize that silver was the factory racing color...so much the better ;) Actually, one of my sick pipe-dreams is to take an R107 with a blown engine, install a heavily modified OM617 and a 5 speed manual, and make a racer out of it ;D It's amazing what kind of power you can get out of a diesel engine these days...but that's for another thread ;) I have no intention of hot-rodding this 116 ;)

QuoteThe rust you have is inconsequential in comparison to 90% of W116s...  just be sure you check the floorpans.

Looking from the top, it looks clean...I haven't gotten the car up on a lift yet, but as soon as I do, I'll snap some pictures and post them. I spent some time under the car in the inspection process and in the process of changing out the starter, and things looked darn clean under there. Just from rust alone, this is an amazing find...I've heard the stories about how badly some 116's have rusted out...

QuoteThat 5 cylinder diesel was a technological marvel and thousands of that series of engines have gone 500,000 km or more - increasing the potential resale value of the car substantially.

Amen to that...I've got 282K miles on my 123, with the original engine...for all the other problems the car has, the engine and tranny ar ein such good shape that, other than some oil leakage, you'd think they were fresh rebuilds. AFAIK, no major engine work's ever been done on the 123 (I have maintenance logs for all but 25K of the car's life). The 116's engine's been replaced; not sure why...but, other than the water pump, the engine's nice and happy.

I am 100% sold on the OM617. I'm surprised that there don't seem to be any other diesel 116 owners on here...

QuoteYou also have an aluminum hood on that car - don't slam it with your palm or try to shove down on it hard.  Let the weight of the hood pull it down into the locked position by smartly tugging on the center of the chrome grill with your hand located near the star.  Oil your hinges, the hood release mechanism (under the dash too...use WD40) and graphite all the locks, especially the ignition lock.

Thanks for the warning on the hood. But, if it's aluminum...why does there appear to be steel rust on it (as referenced in the picture below)?

I know I need to hit all of the hinges and locks/latches. Any suggestion on what lubricants to use? I seem to recall white lithium spray grease recommended for the 123, and I imagine the 116 is similar, but better safe than sorry, right? I also need to find some liquid graphite...

Thanks again 8)

OzBenzHead

Warden:
QuoteI'm surprised that there don't seem to be any other diesel 116 owners on here...

Perhaps that's because, despite its growing popularity with US posters (and, by the way, it's great having you here!), this is an Oz-based forum. The diesel W116 was made exclusively for the North American market. Oz (and the rest of the world) got only petrol ("gas") versions.  If you look around (maybe go to the Members' list and check some locations and/or signatures) you'll find other oilburner 116s here.    :D
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

Mforcer

Quote from: OzBenzHead on 24 March 2006, 09:27 PM
Perhaps that's because, despite its growing popularity with US posters (and, by the way, it's great having you here!), this is an Oz-based forum.

I don't think we can claim this is an Oz based forum, just an Oz dominated forum. I would be willing to bet that the largest number of W116 still being driven (certainly compared to the size of the population) would be in Australia.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

The Warden

Oh! I knew the 300SD was a North America-only car ("why it was" is another story, though)...didn't realize this was an Oz-based forum, though. Very cool!

Actually, on a similar note, how old is this board? It seems like it's on the small side...did it just start up, or are things just quiet in general? I'm asking out of sheer curiosity; no criticism meant...this seems to be a great board thus far 8)

Mforcer

This forum has been running for a couple of years but there was very little W116 information and discussion before that. There seems to be a growing interest in these cars which I am sure we are all happy about... let's share the wealth! :)
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

OzBenzHead

Quote from: 450SE on 24 March 2006, 09:55 PM
Perhaps that's because, despite its growing popularity with US posters (and, by the way, it's great having you here!), this is an Oz-based forum.

I don't think we can claim this is an Oz based forum, just an Oz dominated forum. I would be willing to bet that the largest number of W116 still being driven (certainly compared to the size of the population) would be in Australia.

You're right, Michael. I ought to be more careful with my semantics!   ::)
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

John Hubertz

Hmmmm.  Surprising that the hood is steel - to the best of my knowledge all SD's had alloy hoods to meet weight targets.

I'll ask a couple of gurus on m-100 for clarification....Michael Trei knows more about these cars then anyone....
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

The Warden

Quote from: John Hubertz on 25 March 2006, 12:12 AM
Hmmmm.  Surprising that the hood is steel - to the best of my knowledge all SD's had alloy hoods to meet weight targets.
If aluminum hoods were strictly on SD's, this makes sense. The hood was replaced at some point while my friend's dad had the car...and he probably had no qualms about grabbing any hood he could get his hands on...so, if gas 116's had steel hoods, he probably pulled it off a gas 116 at a Pick n' Pull.

With the upwards dent where that rust spot is, I want to replace the hood anyways...this gives me more incentive to do so ;)

Bill_C

Warden:
QuoteI'm surprised that there don't seem to be any other diesel 116 owners on here...

Perhaps that's because, despite its growing popularity with US posters (and, by the way, it's great having you here!), this is an Oz-based forum. The diesel W116 was made exclusively for the North American market. Oz (and the rest of the world) got only petrol ("gas") versions.  If you look around (maybe go to the Members' list and check some locations and/or signatures) you'll find other oilburner 116s here.    :D
Hey Warden, I am a new 300SD owner and new to this site as well.  It is my first Mercedes and my first diesel.  I'll post some pics and details when I get a chance.  I am looking forward to seeing the updates on the progress of your car.

The Warden

Quote from: Bill_C on 25 March 2006, 03:18 PMHey Warden, I am a new 300SD owner and new to this site as well.  It is my first Mercedes and my first diesel.  I'll post some pics and details when I get a chance.  I am looking forward to seeing the updates on the progress of your car.

Welcome to the world of M-B's, Bill! Believe me, unless your SD was horribly maintained prior to you buying her, this'll be a great car for you. I'll admit that I've had some sticker shock with some body/interior parts prices on the W116 chassis (as compared to the W123 chassis cars), but mechanically, they're pretty easy to maintain...and the OM617 is about as bulletproof as engines get, and good on fuel as well. They don't have anywhere near the power of a 6.9 (M-B, not IH ;) ) and probably not even anywhere near the power of any other M-B gas engine, but I've found that the turbo 617's got plenty of power for everyday driving. 8)

Styria, you are absolutely right...quality is better than quantity on these sorts of sites. I'm a member of a few other boards as well as this one (mainly for Ford diesels), and I've found that, when a board gets too big (>30K members or so), problems start developing...complaints get to be so much that the moderators crack down real hard, driving out the more experienced people...and the overall knowledge base suffers as a result. As I said before, I was asking simply out of curiosity...I think this site's great!

{on edit} Yay! I'm not an FNG anymore ;) (at least according to the title under my user name)

boneheaddoctor

I love the W116 and preffer it to the W123 I also have....

Totally Rust free (except for battery tray surface rust) I acquired this a few years ago in Tempe Arizona.