News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Headlights have water on inside face of glass after rain.

Started by Alex, 29 September 2024, 08:45 AM

Alex

Hi all,

Just replaced my headlights on both sides of the car due to rusted cones.

The gaskets seemed all ok and held water when I poured it in from the inside, so I didn't replace them.

Water is still making its way into the headlight assembly on the inside.

It isnt a great amount of water, but small amounts.

Where could this be coming from? All gaskets are tight.
77' 280SE Classic White (200,100km)

Randys01

I think the gaskets you are  referring to hold the lamp fitting in to the body cavity. The actual lens glass is affixed to the reflector via a thin gasket held in by clips which are rivetted.

Alex

Quote from: Randys01 on 30 September 2024, 01:16 AMI think the gaskets you are  referring to hold the lamp fitting in to the body cavity. The actual lens glass is affixed to the reflector via a thin gasket held in by clips which are rivetted.
Yes, regardless- both held water out (well in).

Randys01

Obviously the gaskets are not water tight. Either the rivets have not "taken" or the gaskets  have perished...
To hold the glass in with rivets is a crap design from the get go... but on the other hand they seemed to last for years.
You could try sealing the top of the glass/reflector/gasket with a glue. For starters tho make sure the reflector is 100 % dry.........run the headlights for awhile and warm it up /dry it out. Then gingerly spray the lights with water. See what happens.

Alex

Quote from: Randys01 on 30 September 2024, 04:29 AMObviously the gaskets are not water tight. Either the rivets have not "taken" or the gaskets  have perished...
To hold the glass in with rivets is a crap design from the get go... but on the other hand they seemed to last for years.
You could try sealing the top of the glass/reflector/gasket with a glue. For starters tho make sure the reflector is 100 % dry.........run the headlights for awhile and warm it up /dry it out. Then gingerly spray the lights with water. See what happens.

I agree that the gaskets are likely the issue. But I did observe that the headlights were able to keep a large amount of water inside them when I was cleaning them. (Perhaps just enough is entering to condense on the glass, but not enough for me to notice when I was working on them). I suspect the glass gasket is the issue, as you did state that it is riveted in, so it probably has gotten a bit weak over time and cannot be adjusted.

I am strongly considering using some silicon to seal the glass section better, worst comes to worst, *if* I do crack the glass or need to replace it, it isn't impossible to remove silicon, just tedious.

Randys01

Im surprised you used water. I use metho. Water takes forever to dry out and generally leaves spots.
Anyway, I agree that the best way ahead is a light bead of silicone around the lens gasket..no doubt some type of sealant was used originally.