News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Headlight Wipers

Started by sechsneuner, 05 June 2011, 06:24 AM

sechsneuner

hi guys

I'm trying to fix the headlight wipers / washer system on my 6.9er. The first problem was a faulty relay (no. 13). I changed it but since then there is a short circuit when the headlights are switched on (fuse no. 5 blows). The wiper/washer motors are ok and I measured the wires of the relay socket which are ok too. What can I do next to find the bug?

Thanks

t.r.

koan

Quote from: sechsneuner on 05 June 2011, 06:24 AM
I'm trying to fix the headlight wipers / washer system on my 6.9er. The first problem was a faulty relay (no. 13). I changed it but since then there is a short circuit when the headlights are switched on (fuse no. 5 blows). The wiper/washer motors are ok and I measured the wires of the relay socket which are ok too. What can I do next to find the bug?

If you PM with a real email address i can send you a pdf wiring diagram.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

gavin116

I don't know if my headlight wipers are working or not, as they are presently off the car.  I should like to reinstall them, but am not sure where to start.  Firstly they need new rubbers, does one just replace the old perished ones, or is the wiper arm and rubber blade replaced as a whole?

That hurdle jumped, how on earth does one attach them to the spindles?  There isn't very much space between the upper bumper bar and the spindle, and secondly the securing nut sees to be very inaccessible.

Any advice?

Tx,

Gavin

P.S. Koan do you have any other wiring diagrams available in PDF format?  I am specifically after diagrams for a 450, '79 right hand drive version.  Most of the diagrams that I have come across are for the American Market, which differ a little to our rhd cars, and the actual diagrams were such poor (copy) quality, that it is virtually impossible to read them.
1979 450SE "Mrs White"
2022 Touareg-R 3.0TSi Hybrid
[url="http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/"]http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/[/url]
[url="http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613"]http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613[/url]

jbrasile

Hi Gavin,

When I bought the 78 450SEL a few years ago the h/l wipers had been removed as well.

You can replace just the wiper blade but they are a pain to do... otherwise the complete assembly must be changed including the arms.

The arms are attached to the spindles using a 6mm bolt. This is what you do:

1) Insert the arm with the blade on the spindle as far as it will go paying attention to the position of the blade on the headlight
2) With one hand holding  the base of the arm pull it towards you and that will give you enough room to insert a 6mm socket on the bolt
3) Loosen first to make sure the arms are in all the way into the spindle
4) Lay the blade on the headlights to check your alignment
5) Once satisfied both sides look the same and that the blades are correctly positioned, lift the arms and tighten the bolts, always hold the base and arm with one hand while you tighten  with the other.

Tip: You want the blades to sit slightly up on the headlights because there is always a little bit of play on the assembly and that way you are assured they will not go too low and get jammed between the headlight lens and the metal strip right under the lights. Hope this helps.

Tks

Joe

koan

Quote from: gavin116 on 05 June 2011, 09:12 AM
That hurdle jumped, how on earth does one attach them to the spindles?  There isn't very much space between the upper bumper bar and the spindle, and secondly the securing nut sees to be very inaccessible.

It's a challenge, I have a small 1/4 in drive socket set, with a long extension and screwdriver handle I can do just do it, the extension bar runs across the headlight.

P.S. Koan do you have any other wiring diagrams available in PDF format?  I am specifically after diagrams for a 450, '79 right hand drive version.  Most of the diagrams that I have come across are for the American Market, which differ a little to our rhd cars, and the actual diagrams were such poor (copy) quality, that it is virtually impossible to read them.

All I have is the US diagram manual and AUS specific 6.9 diagrams.

koan

jbrasile

koan, I agree, it is not easy to do and you have to worry about the metal extension hitting/rubbing  the headlight lens, the noise it makes is not funny...

Tks,

Joe

sechsneuner

Today I managed to get the left wiper working (lights on pushing stalk). The right one keeps blowing the fuse. There are four cables for the motor. The fuse doesn't blow if I unplug either the red/black or the red/gray. Wiper motor and cleaning motor are working when I put power on the black/red/yellow wire. Any ideas how to find the problem?

Thanks

t.r.

koan

Is that left looking at the front of the car or left in the correct M-B sense "in the driving direction"?

The motors are different, on my RHD car the right motor has 4 pins and the left has 3 pins, the right motor's 4th connection pulses the washer pump.

Pin 1 Red start (from relay)

Pin 2 Black run (from fuse 5 in mine)

Pin 3 Brown earth

Pin 4 Blue to washer pump

Motors are in parallel, all 3 connections.

koan

sechsneuner

On my LHD the motors are the same as on your RHD. The right one has a fourth pin to activate the pump (blue). The black pin runs as red/gray to the right headlight, then to the fusebox. The right motor is new. To be sure it's working I try to plug it on the working left pin.

t.r.

ALV148

Can any one help??
i have a 6.9 that the headlight wiper parts have been remove and wires cut, i have been buying the parts to reinstall but i have some questios?

1   does any one have a diagram of how the pump is plumbed ?
2   position of pump?
3   where is the headlight washer relay positioned in the car?

Thanks
1965 300SE Long for fintail on air Blue
1969 280SE 3.5 coupe 1632 silver
1969 300SEL 6.3 1924 Silver
1980 450SEL 6.9 7171 Silver
2011 SLS 6.3 AMG Silver
2019 G63 4.0 AMG Silver
2019 E63s Wagon Silver
1985 E320 Wagon Silver
2002 E55 Wagon

ptashek

This is based on a standard 450SE, so there may be 6.9 specific differences. Plenty of 6.9 owners here that can chime in with 100% accurate information :)

1. Wiring diagrams

http://handbook.w116.org/ETM/78SDetm.pdf
http://s3.amazonaws.com/MB450SE/docs/450SE_wiring_diagram.zip

2. Headlight wipers use a separate pump. Both pumps are mounted on a bracket under the washer fluid reservoir and battery tray.

3. I'd like to know as well :)
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

ALV148

Thanks , thats a start my also is a UK RHD but my windscreen washer pump (which thankfully still installed is behind the LH headlamp not right ?)

thanks for the link to the wiring diagram, but is was the water pipe routes and configuration i have not got??

hope full others out there can help us !!

Nice job by the way !!!!
1965 300SE Long for fintail on air Blue
1969 280SE 3.5 coupe 1632 silver
1969 300SEL 6.3 1924 Silver
1980 450SEL 6.9 7171 Silver
2011 SLS 6.3 AMG Silver
2019 G63 4.0 AMG Silver
2019 E63s Wagon Silver
1985 E320 Wagon Silver
2002 E55 Wagon