News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts for over 20 years!

Main Menu

Headlight Glass

Started by Mattr, 25 August 2018, 08:27 PM

Mattr

Hey Folks,

So, my passenger side headlight has a chips in the glass, right where those little metal tabs latch onto it, to the point that the glass won't really latch in place. I'm going to start looking for new glass, but since I've a feeling I might as well buy a whole parts car for what it'll cost me/take in time, I thought I'd ask here:

Has anyone tried to replace those metal tabs with something less damaging to glass, or maybe found an alternative method of holding it in place entirely? I really don't want to go to aftermarket lights, but  it looks to me like this is a really fragile design.
1976 450SE 6.9 FrankenBenz (#2288?)
1977 450SEL 6.9 #2333

Squiggle Dog

The metal tabs originally had a clear rubber type material on them. You could probably paint them with clear or colored liquid electrical tape. The lenses are something like $300 each, but I think you can get aftermarket ones from Turkey on eBay for something like $200 a pair. I never regret installing headlight rock guards over my Euro lights! Even the lenses for the W126 are about $200 each. Ridiculous.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

floyd111

You mean that the glass lens in front of the lamp has cracked, but the rest is still OK? Dunno about the metal tabs, but those lenses come up in NOS quite often, and surely not too costly, often around 50 euros. I would also think that many used lenses should do, from the scrapper. No need to buy a completely new lamp assy.

Mattr

Quote from: floyd111 on 25 August 2018, 10:37 PM
You mean that the glass lens in front of the lamp has cracked, but the rest is still OK? Dunno about the metal tabs, but those lenses come up in NOS quite often, and surely not too costly, often around 50 euros. I would also think that many used lenses should do, from the scrapper. No need to buy a completely new lamp assy.

The 'edges' of the glass are broken off or chipped where the metal tabs contact them. I suspect whoever installed it previously was too forceful. The body of the glass is perfectly fine, and crystal clear. I was hoping to try and figure out another way to attach the glass, since it's still in great shape. I'm thinking maybe try the above-suggestion of putting liquid electrical tape on the ends of the metal contacts, and then maybe try and find a sealant which will adhere the glass to the rubber gasket it rests on? I've my eyes on some glass on eBay, and will start checking local junk yards (we're getting into the part of the year where the car doesn't see much driving because the weather's getting bad anyway, so I've time to figure this out).

Has anyone swapped in headlights from a newer car? I prefer the look of the w116 Euro lights to most other similar-era Benz lights, but it looks like W126 euro light kits are more plentiful. I'm guessing the hood doesn't line up, and such, but thought I'd raise the question. My priority is always balancing keeping the car on the road and not going broke accomplishing that, and originality isn't really something I'm worried about with this car (plus: let's be frank: My car is an amalgamation of two very different cars already. Originality was thrown out the window eons ago).
1977 450SEL 6.9 #2333

irvine

If you look in eBay you'll find many many headlight glass's for sale. Quick check and there's one on the German eBay for $65au or a new L&R set for $300 in Australia.

s class

Remember that the glass lenses for LHD and RHD cars differ.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Mattr

Quote from: irvine on 28 August 2018, 01:28 AM
If you look in eBay you'll find many many headlight glass's for sale. Quick check and there's one on the German eBay for $65au or a new L&R set for $300 in Australia.
I'm in the US. With the shipping cost on either of those, it's likely be cheaper to have Dale Chihuly hand-make me a pair. I'll keep the LHD vs RHD (someone else's comment, not yours) in mind. I hate to do it, but I might wind up springing for a set of the LED replacements. I don't want the stupid bmw-style angel eyes, those are dumb and played out, but I would love headlights that did a solid job of illuminating the roads around here, since night tends to be murky, rather than clear and dark.
1977 450SEL 6.9 #2333

rumb

I have  a very used right headlight and if I could find it a new non bosch one. I already searched in vain once so Im not sure where it is.

If I find it soon I will let you know.

R

If you want the used one for very cheap let me know.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

floyd111

actually, shipping from germany under 2kg is very cheap, 16 euros, under 500 g it's 3.70 euros, and only 2.50 extra for registered mail

rumb

spares lenses found, PM sent
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio