News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Groaning steering

Started by Mforcer, 20 March 2007, 05:51 PM

Mforcer

I am having an issue with my steering that I hope some of you can suggest what is wrong...

I experience a groaning sound when I turn the steering wheel at slow speeds, such as when I am parking. The wheels are not at full lock when I hear the sound. I do not alway hear the sound, which makes it immpossible to reproduce. Could it be the steering pump?

In addition, there is some minor sloppyness and 'numb' feel generally in the steering. Not terrible in anyway, just that it is not as tight and direct as I would hope and expect. I have had the steering box reconditioned and the front bushes have been replaced. What could it be?

The car is presently with my mechanic but want to make sure what is done will resolve the issues.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Nutz

Try 'bleeding' it by turning it to the far extreme left and right. But yeah,sounds like the pump is ready to pack it in.

alabbasi

Before giving up on the pump, check the level of the power steering fluid.

All the best

Ali
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

Mforcer

Thanks Nutz and Ali!

Could the bad pump (or incorrect fluid level) be causing the 'numb' feel in the steering? I can't really explain the feeling very well other than to say it just doesn't feel right. I have slightly wider tyres (225 vs 205) on AMG rims with slightly lower offset (et17) and also a slightly smaller AMG steering wheel which I would have thought would increase the direct road feel and responsiveness.
Michael
2006 B200

Des

Does your car whistle when it is on full lock ether way?
My car does the same groaning as well.

Mforcer

No whistling, at least not that I have heard. The groaning and steering feel isn't that bad and the car is certainly drivable but I am fussy with how my car feels.
Michael
2006 B200

Brian Crump

if it's not the steering pump - or rack - it may well be the tie rod ends. Mine groaned before they knocked.
BC

WGB

Check the oil level in the pump and maybe even change the filter in the base of the reservoir (Which everybody forgets about).

It makes that sound particularly cold if the reservoir level goes down - quite a small amount - and as the fluid expands with heat it lifts the level.

Bill

john skene

The only time I have had a groaning sound from a power steering setup was when the oil level was down. Topped it up and no more sound. I have tried 215 tyres but not 225 on my 116, the 225 width would have to change the feel of the steering, but I think air in the system would give you a dead feel to the steering. It's just as well you went to the lower wheel offset to help correct the wider tyres, as the edges may have worn rather rapidly.

Mforcer

Air in the system? Could anyone elaborate to help expand my limited technical knowledge?
Michael
2006 B200

koan

Quote from: Mforcer on 21 March 2007, 12:18 AM

Air in the system? Could anyone elaborate to help expand my limited technical knowledge?

I've had the same ow fluid level when cold groan but OK when warm. The fluid expands significantly when it warms up and "tops up" the reservoir, the groan then stops.

If the fluid level is low or has been low the pump could have sucked air in. the cure is to first slowly rock the steering wheel side to side say 40 degrees total several times and the slowly from lock to lock a few times.

Useful to have a helper to see if bubbles are appearing in the reservoir and to top up as required.

koan.

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

AMG69

I had this problem LAST week!!!   :D

Checked fluid - fine.  Took car to Star Shop - not the pump; not tie rods or steering rack or anything else.  It was a "stuffed" hydraulic hose which had begun to develop a kink and no doubt fluid wasnt travelling as well as it should within it.  New hose and no problem.
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

Mforcer

My problem exists after I have been driving for 30 minutes so doubt it could be cold fluid :(

I just hope I have a kinked hydraulic hose too.
Michael
2006 B200

Des

does anyone know these days what a power steering pump is worth new?

just curious, thanks

gregdeklerk