News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Groaning steering

Started by Mforcer, 20 March 2007, 05:51 PM

Mforcer

My car will be at my mechanics until Friday at the earliest but hope to speak to them tomorrow.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Andrew280SEL

geez... all our w116's always had a whine or groan in the steering so we never thought it abnormal... shows what you learn when you hear about other peoples "better" condition components.  :)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

Des

Quote from: Andrew280SEL on 21 March 2007, 05:34 AM
geez... all our w116's always had a whine or groan in the steering so we never thought it abnormal... shows what you learn when you hear about other peoples "better" condition components.  :)

It is actually down to a safety feature, Mercedes deliberately used softer rubber compounds for the engine, gearbox mounts, for the rubber mounts in the chassis and steering so that in a severe front end crash the engine will break free and slide under the car, rather than ending up slammed through the firewall and on your lap or through your ribs like in other cars. This combined with the weight of the motor means that the steering and front end suspension is put under a lot of pressure and strain.

oscar

Gee there's some interesting symptoms and solutions pop up so far, I feel obliged to add another.  Big Pat Richard talked of a lubrication problem in the steering shaft causing a groan a long time ago.  ie where the shaft enters the firewall from the steering box.  But then again, your box was replaced, but then again your steering shaft might need greasing.  Hmmmm.

BTW, the whistle that Des talks about whilst at full lock is just the fluid going thru a by pass valve or something similar to prevent damage to the box at full lock.    Does that sound right??
1973 350SE, my first & fave

regisw116

and what about steering shock absorber.........

Tomi

In normal cases, steering noises in MB's originate from either the idler (cheap fix) or the lower ball joints. requires someone to be under the car while the other turns the steering wheel. The engine off, else you cant hear anything down under.
But you guys have probably looked at this already.

Tomi

Quote from: styria on 22 March 2007, 04:16 PM
Hi Tomi, don't know about 450's, but on 6.9's it is necessary to move the starter motor out of the way in order toextract the long bolt that holds the idler assembly in place. Therefore, the job is a little time consuming. Regards again, Styria

I see, the 6.9 seems to need more work on maintenance. because for 450 there is the space for the idler bushing change. The other difference was the water pump, if I remember correctly, it is much easier (although not totally easy) with the 450.
well,  maybe that is not the most important thing when comparing these engines  ;).

s class

Michael, any news on your groaning steering?

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Mforcer

I wish I had some news... while it is at the mechanics it is having some other things taken care of and is not expected back for another week. I tell my mechanic that I am not in a rush for the car and he takes me seriously!

My mechanic did inform me that he changed the steering box but I will not know until I take it for a drive. Can't wait to get back behind the wheel though :)
Michael
2006 B200

oscar

Quote from: Mforcer on 28 March 2007, 03:47 PM
........I tell my mechanic that I am not in a rush for the car and he takes me seriously!......
......Can't wait to get back behind the wheel though :)

:D Same thing happens here.  I went without for about 10weeks a couple of years ago.  Boy I missed it!!
Fingers crossed mforcer.

Something caught my attention before when it was posted and that's regis' suggestion.
Quote from: regisw116 on 22 March 2007, 01:03 PM
and what about steering shock absorber.........

Now that may or may not be your problem mforcer but I have a slight rubbing feeling in the steering wheel whilst I  turn right only.  There's no play in the box and the rest of the movement is free. It only happens whilst the steering wheel is moving and barely noticeable, but it's there.  It has the original shock absorber that's been on many corrugated dirt roads and bad sealed ones over its 380,000km.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

regisw116

yes, you may change it, not very expensive ( 50 $)

and then you will see................

Mforcer

I get my car back tomorrow! :o ;D :)

Quote from: Mforcer on 20 March 2007, 05:51 PM
I experience a groaning sound when I turn the steering wheel at slow speeds, such as when I am parking. The wheels are not at full lock when I hear the sound. I do not alway hear the sound, which makes it immpossible to reproduce. Could it be the steering pump?

The steering box was replaced and in the little driving I had done, was unable to hear any groaning.

In addition, there is some minor sloppyness and 'numb' feel generally in the steering. Not terrible in anyway, just that it is not as tight and direct as I would hope and expect. I have had the steering box reconditioned and the front bushes have been replaced. What could it be?

I believe it was caused by the steering box being over tightened and as the power steering fluid heated up it would not allow the steering to re-center as it should. What I was feeling as sloppyness was actually the wheels needing my ever-so-slight input to steer straight. It wasn't picked up by my mechanic until he drove it far enough for the fluid to heat up. Does this seem right and is there anything about this I should be concerned about?

Also, as a result of all this stuffing around, my mechanic is doing a few more not-so-little things for me... for free! ;D
Michael
2006 B200

john skene

I'm surprised that you did not feel a slight binding in the steering whenever you went off-centre.

Mforcer

I wasn't aware of any binding in the steering. It really was a strange feeling and made worse by the fact the feeling would change as I drove. What ever it was never made it difficult to drive, just not as comfortable as I would expect.
Michael
2006 B200

ohm5s

I have groaning in my steering, low speed exactly like yours. I spent £800 at THE GARAGE in Bacup (rip off don;t use!)   and they replaced all parts and I drove it out and it happened again when I got home.