News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Green dash light

Started by hanz, 11 March 2019, 02:25 AM

hanz

Hello All  My 1980 W116 (RHD) has a green light next to the right turn indicator light that is staying on.  I read somewhere in a manual that I cant find, that the green light was to come on with the red charge light and go out once the car was started . What does this green light mean . I did have an alternator problem that is fixed but the green light is still on , No red light   

UTn_boy

That is usually for cars that were ordered with a towing package.  It's is supposed to blink with the turn signals when a trailer is hooked up to the wire harness plug.  If it loses a ground, continuity in one of the 12+ wires, or a dead short develops it can stay on constantly.  Otherwise it simply a matter of someone having put a light bulb in the wrong place in the instrument cluster.  Do all of the cluster warning/indicator lights come on before you start the car?
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

hanz

Hello UTn_boy

Thankyou for the reply.
The car did come with the trailer package from new and still has it.
At the same time as the alternator problem I had an issue with a LED brake light I added to the top of the rear window. It would sometime faintly stay on . I could see it glow at night from time to time. Thinking it was just an issue with Chinese made junk ,I disconnected it
I spliced into trailer brake line so will check out my tail lights and see what I find.

Not that I do believe the poster of the reply that the green light is a trailer option but its always best to get a second opinion on the green light. Its not helped by my faint memory of it being a secondary alternator light as some sort of pre warning like disconnection the battery negative and using a test light to check for a alternator fault for defective diodes in the alternator draining power from the battery and cause it to go flat

To not go off topic I will post another question about the trailer harness

rumb

Hans,
Welcome to the forum.  UTn_boy probably knows more than all of us put together.  ;)

here's your second opinions:
https://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/electrics-dashboard-switchbutton-and-light/

https://forum.w116.org/test-drive/i-picked-up-a-1980-280se-parts-car/

You should probably just continue your questions on this posting.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

hanz

Thanks Doc. (rumb)  for the second opinion

I already posted a new question but it has a few add on points for answers

Looking at one post I noted its the same year car as mine but in the UK . The light is mounted in front of the gear stick  so probably the UK rule for where the light should be compared to Australia where its next to the right indicator light (RHD) in a blank space in the light bar of the cluster