News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

GREEN-450SE help topic

Started by Zagato, 01 November 2008, 10:53 PM

Zagato

So that I won't have to make a new topic for every problem with my car (and that's a long list!), I'll just keep updating this one topic. Arright?

Anyway, my first problem is with the rear passenger side wheel. It's steel wheels by the way, not the light alloys. I've got to get the wheel replaced because it was deformed after my last tune-up. I was given the options by a shop to either order a $200 original wheel, or an aftermarket $80 universal wheel.
My car uses the Mercedes metal wheel coverings. So my question is, will the wheel coverings fit any kind of wheel as long as it's the same size? I'm afraid the wheel covers may have some kind of unique design trait that won't be compatible with any other wheel.

CraigS

These are a common wheel to several models, so a wrecking yard is the cheapest solution.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

13B

Breakers, wreckers, auto dismantlers, etc... whatever they're called in Canada, find your local one which still carries old Mercedes Benz and get to know them, you be back regularly... a standard steel wheel shouldn't cost you more than $25...

In the meantime put on your spare and put your damaged wheel in the boot.. or trunk..

I.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

Zagato

Quote from: 13B on 02 November 2008, 01:07 AM
In the meantime put on your spare and put your damaged wheel in the boot.. or trunk..

You know what, that's a brilliant idea! I don't know why I haven't thought of that before. Thanks!

koan

Quote from: Zagato on 01 November 2008, 10:53 PM

So that I won't have to make a new topic for every problem with my car (and that's a long list!), I'll just keep updating this one topic. Arright?

Think it's better to start a new topic for each problem with an appropriate subject line.

Threads that dart from one subject to another and back are hard to follow and get too long.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Zagato

Quote from: koan on 02 November 2008, 03:11 AM
Think it's better to start a new topic for each problem with an appropriate subject line.

Threads that dart from one subject to another and back are hard to follow and get too long.

koan

Alright. But since I've already started the topic, I'll keep posting my problems here until it reaches the second page.

Anyway, I experience two new problems today. The first one, the accelerator somehow got stuck open while I was looking for a parking spot. I tried to hold it on the brakes, but I just had to pull the pedal back with my toe in order to save myself from getting into an accident. Amazingly, doing this has somehow fixed my overly-aggressive idle speed problem.

After that incident, I arrived home to find the car has started leaking fluid. I'm not sure if it's oil, but all I know is now things are gonna get more expensive.

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: Zagato on 02 November 2008, 03:52 AM

Anyway, I experience two new problems today. The first one, the accelerator somehow got stuck open while I was looking for a parking spot. I tried to hold it on the brakes, but I just had to pull the pedal back with my toe in order to save myself from getting into an accident. Amazingly, doing this has somehow fixed my overly-aggressive idle speed problem.

Oh dear, sounds like the throttle actuating linkage is sticking and in bad need of some lubrication. Is the accelerator pedal particularly stiff to press?
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

John Hubertz

My throttle stuck due to the pedal assembly coming detached from the floor.  Check the pedal base and the sliding sphere duhickey that the pedal uses to connect to the steel tube that is the throttle actuating rod hanging down into the footwell.
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

TJ 450

I had the accelerator stick on my 450 due to routing of the ignition leads (my fault) fouling the linkage at the airflow meter, the throttle was stuck open. It was a stone cold start and the engine redlined instantly, a frightening experience that will not happen again.  :-[
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Zagato

So I went and to get my wheel aligned today, but it turned out the adjustment nuts/bolts were completely seized. Also, the reason I hear thunks and squeaks over bumps is not because of a faulty shock absorber, but because the tie rods are completely shot. Upon hard breaking or going over potholes/speed bumps, the front wheels skip backwards from excessive play.

This is going to be a very expensive fix.  :(

I also took a look at the engine fluid leaks by studying its liquid I caught on a piece of cardboard I left underneath it overnight. It doesn't look like oil, but I have a strong suspicion it's either transmission fluid or power steering fluid.

John Hubertz

Power steering fluid, and tie rod ends are super cheap on ebay.

4 wheel alignment must be "by the book"  find an old or very young man, with a good alignment rack.  It is not hard, but consumes time.  Noone has the experience you can afford.

I use a local independent and it costs about $70 USA, after a hillbilly friend puts the rod ends and idler bushings on - which Max needs right now desperately.

Healthcare costs are keeping me poor due to Mom.  Please, get Canada to annex us?
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

TJ 450

Tie rod ends are definitely not expensive unless from the dealer. You should check out autohausAZ.com, $15 per side. They are a W123 part.
Even all of the front end bushes are not that expensive.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Zagato

I've been quoted $45 per tie rod component. So for the whole front end, I'll be looking at around $200.

I don't buy anything online, so I'll be forced to make do with what I can find in person. Maybe I'll head to a salvage yard and look for used R107 or W123 tie rod components. Since I'm probably the only one in my city driving a W116.

TJ 450

$200 seems pretty reasonable to me and once it's done it will remain so for a long time.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Zagato

Got the appointment booked for Saturday. With wheel alignment and labour thrown into the mix, I'm looking at over $500.

Sure, my savings are slowly being swallowed up, but I can't wait to take the car out for a drive once it's fixed. I've been waiting for a moment like that. To be able to drive my W116 with full confidence.