News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Got thinking again...

Started by chinny4290, 02 February 2010, 12:38 AM

chinny4290

It's funny...I lose so much sleep over what I can/should/want to do with my 280S.

it's been sitting for several months due to needing a full brake system overhaul.

This summer, i am damn sure since I am taking a semester off and working and saving that I want to take the engine out and repaint the whole car.

But that had me thinking...The US M110 carbed is terrible...sounds great, but terrible. Abysmal fuel economy, no power, and the headache of consistently worrying about a carb and its tuning. It came with the territory granted, but I would probably be in a much worse situation with either the M116 or M117.

Since I am pretty firm about removing the M110 from my 280S...I am sure I can find a decent M103 to replace that M110. That would make the car much faster, and have much better fuel economy leaving it to be far more DDable which is what I want.

I originally wanted to convert it to FI...but that sounds like a PITA.

I'm sure I want to keep it a 6cyl to keep the agility that I have with the smaller engine. What i can also do is transplant a FI M110 but 280 W116s are nearly impossible to come by here in the states.

Another thing is that my engine only has 90k miles on it. It has so much more to go but I dont think i can continue driving the 400k miles of life it has with the fuel economy and power it has  :D

and the 280Ss here in the states are a needle in a haystack...so I already have low use and rarity along my sides. I'm also seeing that W116s, especially in good condition are slowly appreciating...albeit slowly. This is a long term project so this is good.

I want to DD this car but if I really want to be happy I want to put a better engine in it or make the engine better.

However, what's stopping me is the fact that it's rare, and has low miles and will probably be worth more when I finish working on it. And modding it will depreciate the value.

What do you guys think I should do? I also consider how rare W116s are period in the world, and I feel modding this one would be making it 1 less genuine W116 in the land.
1975 W116 280S - SOLD
1994 W124 E320 Coupe - Gone

CURRENT - 1974 450SEL