News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Gas Gauge Hangs-up

Started by john erbe, 25 January 2023, 11:06 AM

john erbe

Needle moves-up as tank is filled. As fuel is consumed it will lower but then stop. After continued consumption it will suddenly release and drop down about a quarter inch and from that point on will indicate correctly. Is it the gauge or the tank float that's getting stuck?

JeffCullen

My money's on a sticky float... sometimes you can get lucky, pull the sending unit and clean it out... need to be VERY careful with the tiny wires!
1979 300SD #6680 - Astralsilber - 153,750km
1998 E300 Turbodiesel - Rauchsilber - 172,000km

Jan S

Quote from: JeffCullen on 25 January 2023, 12:17 PMMy money's on a sticky float... sometimes you can get lucky, pull the sending unit and clean it out... need to be VERY careful with the tiny wires!

Agree!
1975-mod W116 450 SE with 6.9 engine

andrewk

I just removed my fuel level sender - it was caked up with particles from the fuel and rust from the tank. If you're taking the sender out, make sure to inspect your tank for rust (obviously drain the fuel completely first).

I made the decision to get the tank serviced and also replace the fuel level sender. The new parts from MB seem to be of a lower quality than the original, the markings and part number etc are all wonky, and it doesn't seem to be a VDO part any more...

116-542-05-04 was the part number for the 96 L 450 SEL 6.9 tank.
1979 450 SEL 6.9 (#5532) - silbergrün metallic

john erbe

W116120

Happens a lot with the diesels too with algae/fungal growth getting in there. Had to clean out mine