News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Fully sick or fully stupid? Cutting springs

Started by 13B, 23 November 2007, 11:52 PM

13B

Some time ago the question of cutting the coil springs to lower the car came up.

Here's the result if you cut too many coils off:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/mercedes-benz-280se-1976-black-parts-or-restore_W0QQitemZ190176834980QQihZ009QQcategoryZ135584QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Strange looks aside, if its got new tyres then its probably well worth the $400 asking price.  The wheels look like bundts to me.  I'd be buying it as we speak but its short two pistons for my liking.

I.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

Andrew280SEL

It has quite a stance, I hate to admit. But I wouldn't feel safe driving it, I don't think. The springs are probably quite dodgy. :(

Quote from: 13B on 23 November 2007, 11:52 PM
I'd be buying it as we speak but its short two pistons for my liking.

Two words mate:

Twin Turbo 8) :o
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

Mercules

Cutting springs is the cheapest way to achieve a cosmetic effect - but is also the easiest way to compromise your handling!

With proper lowered springs they will use a thicker coil in manufacturing so that the load-carrying property of the spring is similar to (or better) than the standard unit. When you cut them, you ar drastically reducing the load-carrying ability - with the remaining suspension travel that is left over, it wil be very floaty and body roll will be enhanced - the shock absorbers will be bottoming out and the bump stops get hammered!! Not to mention excessive tyre edge wear, body & driveline damage from speed bumps, attention from the police and general disgust from other W116 owners

I have even seen cars with cracks in the strut towers & chassis mounts from hitting so hard!

This car has been on the market for a while -have seen mentioned to it on this forum previously -  I dearly hope any prospective buyer has the good sense to consult our forum before losing their money!!!

500eguy

hmmm, maybe i will just leave my ride height alone or have springs custom made to do it the right way.

carl888

That's a good one!  Just remember:

1. As you cut a spring and reduce its free length, the spring becomes stiffer.

2. Never lower any car...unless you also move the suspension pick up points AND the steering rack/box upwards by the same amount as you LOWER the car.  That's the only way you can preserve the correct geometry otherwise camber and bump steer (Very important) issues seriously compromise high speed transient manoeuvres!

Regards,

Carl.

Mercules

Very true!

We sell a "Roll Centre Correction" kit to compliment lowered springs on WRXs & Evos - it brings the lower control arm & steering geometry back into alignment when the car sits lower... you don't really notice the difference until you are going fast!

Most people who lower their cars don't bother to get an alignment after the work is done - but are the first to complain when their tyre wear out 5000kms later! Especially the ones with independant rear suspension - you can get camber correction kits for most popular models but most people just want the lowered look... Keeps Bob Jane in business I guess!

John Hubertz

These days you are foolish to cut springs with cheap, reliable, good-handling air bag and strut systems so readily available.  my 2c
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

500eguy

what was that place down in Australia that custom makes springs?

SELfor50

You talking bout "King Springs"?!

Probably the one you're talking bout.  I'm sending them some springs in the coming months for a lower and firmer ride.  Should be handling quite nice after that!

Anyone who cut's springs is a bloody irriot!  I was contemplating taking half a coil off, but then quickly slapped myself down after having a ride in a mate of a mate's newish C200 Kompressor.  the f*kn irriot had cut the springs that bad that you were literally bouncing and hitting your head on the roof.  What a waste of money buying a Mercedes / German engineered car with great suspension (i'd assume anyway as it was a 2003 model) and then doing that.  BRUDDY IRRIOT!!!  :D