News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Fuel Pump, Filter and all else

Started by hamidagha, 06 September 2020, 04:10 AM

hamidagha

I have now got to clean-up and replace the fuel pump, filter etc on my 1979 280 SE. As you can see, it is about time.
Questions I would value your view on:
When I ordered the parts, the replacement fuel damper from MB is just a copper tube elbow. See picture of the original I took off and the new.
- What is the function of Fuel Damper?
- Should I replace the old one with this new one?
The original looks like an empty chamber with one inlet and 2 outlets, so I am wondering given that it was not leaking why replace it.
Also - The area marked in red, appears like a valve: what is its function and how do I know if it working as it should?
Thanks

daantjie

Personally I would not replace that damper if it's not leaking. The pipe type damper appears to be for a W126 so I would not use it.  I have seen the "can" style dampers for sale on ebay and they are always knee - buckling expensive for what is essentially an empty can.  I do not know exactly what they are for, but I think it is to absorb pulses in the fuel delivery.
For sure that fuel accumulator is toasty, replace that for sure.  As for the other part (in red box in your pic) I have no idea, I have only ever seen the accumulator by itself as part of the fuel delivery package.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

hamidagha

Thanks daantjie
I have got a new accumulator too, so everything will be renewed. I think I will keep the original damper in, as if ever needed, it is relatively easy to replace.
Will probably post pictures of the new setup :)