News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Fuel Injector Cleaner and Preventive Maintenance Question

Started by Boydness, 19 April 2006, 06:01 PM

Boydness

I have a couple of questions on the usage of Fuel Injector Cleaner.
  I assume everyone is suppose to use it, unless there is some specific reason not to do so, is there something that I should now?

If so, how often is recommended?  Every 6 months?
  Is there a certian specific type to be used on the 6.9? Or will any generic fuel injector cleaner do the job?

Should it be done at the time when changing the oil?
  Is there anything else that should be done at the time when changing the oil? (If the time/mileage factor is the same as the oil)

Where does everyone get the air cleaner filters? Is anyone using any modification with/for their air cleaner?

I want to make sure that I get the maintenance cycle correct and keep her running properly.

Boyd

Nutz

Ensure that the fuel injection cleaner DOES NOT contain methanol or any other corrosive substances or the fuel pump may fail ! Go for the best such as Techron and avoid cheap versions.

Change the airfilter every oil change for piece of mind.

Change the fuel filter when you change the spark plugs and use only Bosch Supers,no platinums.

michaeld

I looked into this by "googling" fuel injector cleaners and reading several articles (not enough to qualify me as an "expert," I'm sure!).  The sense that I got was that f.i. cleaners - unlike the vast majority of additives - actually do accomplish something.  So you should use them.  However, they CAN (as per Nutz's post) be harsh; it was recommended to use products that are intended for every fill-up, as opposed to the kind that are intended to be used much less frequently as the latter tend to be a little TOO strong.

I'm running injector cleaner about every 3rd fill up.  I've been using "Lucas Tune-up in a Bottle."  I don't know whether it contains methanol as per Nutz's post; I'll read up on that.

I don't recall seeing anything about avoiding methanol, but - since I don't recall reading anything that said, "yeah, that methanol is goooood stuff!" I'll consider Nutz's advice as words to the wise.  I know from my own reading that he's right about not using platinum plugs.

Denis

QuoteChange the airfilter every oil change for piece of mind.

Hey Nutz , are you serious ?

That makes an M116/117 engine very expensive to maintain - typically the filters are 50â,¬ where I live  :o

You must buy these filters in bulk from China  :P

Denis

Paris, France

Nutz

An air filter is way cheaper than a M100  ;D

Really though,I'm very anal when it comes down to maintenance on engines and always opt for the better safe than sorry route. Another means to determine if it is time to change the air filter is to hold a droplight to the backside of the paper element and see if you can see the light.Also sometimes I will use my compressor and blow it clean,giving XXXX more miles.

Denis

Hi Nutz  :D

I usually just tap the paper element out when I change the oil (6000km) and replace the filter after about 30000km (visibly restricted when looked at with a flashlight).

But I just thought of something important :

You are in Anchorage, I in Paris and some of our friends are in south Africa, reindeer land or in Foster-drinking kangaroo land - these are probably very, very different in terms of airborne material. In my case for instance, I cant remember the last time I have seen a dust cloud near a road. In the greater Paris area, everything is paved, bricked, cemented, painted, or planted with grass, shrubs or trees... air filters tend to stay clean quite a while. If anything, we have rainy winters that precipitates most airborne dust to the ground.

So as some say, your milleage may vary.

OTOH and contrary to ignition wires, I believe that the OEM air filter is necessary - it is bigger, thicker and more efficient than any I have seen - save for theone in a 6.3  ;)

Denis

Paris, France

Still too cold for springtime - 98 octane SUPER has been sited at 1,47â,¬ per liter  :o :o

Boydness

Quote from: Nutz on 19 April 2006, 10:25 PM

Ensure that the fuel injection cleaner DOES NOT contain methanol or any other corrosive substances or the fuel pump may fail ! Go for the best such as Techron and avoid cheap versions.

Nutz and michaeld,

What do you all think about adding Acetone?
  http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/
  http://www.addacetone.com

The Fuel Injector Cleaner bottle that I have does not say anything about what it is it, except under the DANGER area it states "Contains Petroleum Distillates"....

Boyd

Nutz

Hello Boydness,

The acetone IMHO would be like playing Russian Roulette with your engine.I don't really have any knowledge of adding it to the fuel but maybe there is someone else here that does that will chime in.

michaeld

Boydness,
Let me continue to "sing the praises" of Lucas.  First of all, it was recommened to me by a mechanic-friend, who says he uses it in his own vehicles.  That was enough for me.  Second, it is very inexpensive relative to many other brands/products, partially because they sell it in bulk containers through retail outlets such as Pep Boys. 
The site (lucasoil.com) indicates the product is completely safe for engines and hoses.  A more detailed tech sheet is available at: http://www.lucasoil.com/images/medialibrary/fuel_treatment.pdf.

I'm a little less anal than nutz, and a little more frugal than denis.  I generally don't replace filters before manf suggested intervals, but believe very much in preventative maintenance.  Fuel injector cleaner is the only additive I regularly use, as most other additives (IMHO) are snake oil that make ridiculous claims.  Lucas is actually affordable enough to use every fill-up.  Still, I don't want to OVERDO my injector cleaning, and try to maintain a balance: hence every 3rd fill-up (sometimes I'll do it every 2nd, but never every time).

I would never use acetone - it's too harsh.  I believe it is better to gently clean on a regular basis than put your engine through "chemical hell."  I have read that ethanol, which burns cleaner than gasoline, is completely safe at as high as 10% (9 gal gas to 1 gal ethanol).

Hope I'm being more helpful than annoying.

Michael

OzBenzHead

Boydness:

Be careful adding any kind of alcohol to the fuel system of a pre-'86 Benz; you risk rotting the rubber and plastic components.  If they're already ancient, it might take only a little nudge from, say, ethanol, methanol, or similar cleaner or additive to push them over the brink.

I have a six-page PDF document on ethanol-laced fuel (includes a comprehensive table of which cars can safely drink it), additives, and octane - especially relevant to Benzes. As I can see no means of attaching the document to a post on this forum, I'll happily e-mail it to you - or anyone else who'd like a copy. All I need is (a) a request, and (b) an e-mail address to send it to. You may ask via a forum post, a forum PM, or a private e-mail (my address is displayed in my profile).

The information in the document is compiled from the Australian Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (the Ethanol part) and Stuttgart Mercedes Classic Centre ((additives and octane).

There are also older threads on this forum on the subject:
Thread http://forum.w116.org/index.php/topic,282.msg1731.html#msg1731
Thread http://forum.w116.org/index.php/topic,281.msg1863.html#msg1863.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

Tomi

My MB dealer here has said that it is not wise to use these injector cleaners as they can make dirt move from the pipes and clog the injectors. I dunno, maybe its different if you use it regularly rather than once in 5 years or so.

The air filter should be changed every 60000 km (i guess the earlier post must have meant the oil filter to be changed with the oil changes), or more often in dusty conditions. it cost here in the reindeerland 30 euros and might be made in china, nowadays you never know.
cheers.

alabbasi

I've been having some rough running issues with my car so I pulled the injectors out and cleaned them. I soaked them in part cleaner for an hour and then tested them by squirting aerosol carb cleaner to check the spray pattern. It took some cleaning and a few of the injectors spray patterns looked awful. The difference is amazing.

All in all, it took about 5 hours to do the whole job (seeing as I never done it before).

It still runs a little lumpy but a huge difference then before. at $29.99/injector i'm probably going to replace them. After 30 or so years, I think it's about due.

With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

BAR

Makes me think that I should clean out the injectors on my 450SE.

Can anyone explain how they are removed or point me to a web page that has these instructions and any pictures?

Thanks in advance!

alabbasi

The instructions are in the online manual. It's pretty simple.
You will need to remove the air filter housing and you will then see pipes coming from the fuel distributer to the fuel injectors.

1) draw a diagram of the fuel distributer and number the injectors that the go.
2) number the pips
3) remove the pipes one by one.
4) remove the brakets that hold the injector down
5) remove the injectors.
6) clean
7) replace the sleeves with new sleeves (about $1.50 each).
8) replace in the reverse order.

With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

Nutz

Hey Al,

Don't forget to replace O-rings too when removing injectors.False air (secondary air)will create an undesirable effect  8)