News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Fuel Injection Harness

Started by brettj, 09 August 2011, 07:07 PM

jbrasile

Rough idle issues are so elusive.... have the valves been adjusted after replacing the camshafts? I have found in the past that poorly adjusted exhaust valves will greatly affect idle quality. Since your mechanic did not adjust the co mixture correctly I would check the valves for the correct clearance just to keep him honest (or prove him dishonest, hehehe...)

If indeed your valve adjustment is off, re-do it , go over your co mixture and report back, we will get to the bottom of it.

A worn distributor could be causing some of the problem but let's check all of the "adjustable"stuff first.

Tks,

Joe

KenM

Sounds like you need a new mechanic Brett.

brettj

Yes,  I fired him yesterday! Enough is enough! I'll check the valve adjustments but I'm leaning towards a worn out distributor as a possible source of the this problem.

koan

Quote from: brettj on 13 August 2011, 09:20 AM
I'll check the valve adjustments but I'm leaning towards a worn out distributor as a possible source of the this problem.

I certainly look into the distributor but not worry about axial play too much, the helix angle of the drive gears tends to hold the shaft down, it's easily fixed anyway by just replacing a couple of fibre washers.

What I'd focus on is the mechanical advance mechanism inside the distributor, pull it apart, clean it, grease it and assemble it, making sure the removed springs and weights go back exactly where they came from, the springs and possibly weights are different as are the advance limit tang positions.

While you have it apart make sure the vacuum advance plate moves freely.

I found a link on rebuilding a similar Bosch distributor, I'll dig it out and post it.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

koan

Quote from: koan on 13 August 2011, 05:04 PM

I found a link on rebuilding a similar Bosch distributor, I'll dig it out and post it.

Here's the link REFURBISHING THE HOLDEN BOSCH HEI DISTRIBUTOR, downloads a pdf.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Kris P.

Hi guys, I was following this post.  You guys were mentioning the co2 at the exhaust .  I will be getting my car to undergo the gas analyzer test to see if the mixture is right.  I'd like to ask what is the right mixture when we see the analyzer results, what range specifically says that the mix is ryt, what would be the values i'll be looking for?

Thanks!

oscar

Between 1.5 to 2.5% CO.

Just looking at the manual and there's a few little differences based on air injection and different markets.  Look for section 7.4 110 Regulating Engine.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Nutz

Quote from: brettj on 10 August 2011, 07:08 AM
Hi Joe,

I replaced the distributor cap, rotors, spark plug wires, battery, coil, points and even the trigger points located in the lower section of the distributor. I've also replaced all of the fuel injectors, throttle switch, map sensor, fuel pressure regulator and all of the electrical relay cubes. So what it comes down to is the harness. I'll be picking up the car tomorrow from the shop. Hopefully my mechanic was able to get rid of the misfire and the warm start stall by adjusting everything properly. I plan on driving the car a while to see what happens. If no change, I think I'll move on to the harness. Do you feel I'm on the right track?

What about temperature sensor 1 and 2? These will cause erratic idle at low RPM.

Temperature sensor 1

1)With the engine not running and the ECU harness
disconnected from the ECU,connect an ohmmeter between
ECU harness pin # 1 and 13.At an ambient temperature
the reading should be 200 ohms.

2)If the resistance is well above 200 ohms,check resistance at the sensor itself to determine if it is
a component or wiring fault.

3)Check resistance of all the terminals to chassis ground.There should always be an open circuit.

Temperature sensor 2

1)With the engine not running and the ECU harness
disconnected from the ECU,check the resistance between harness terminal 23 and ground.The resistance should be 2000 ohms at ambient temperature.

2)If the engine is near operating temperature,the resistance should be below 1000 ohms.

Kris P.

Thanks... will be looking at those numbers when I get to the analyzer.

KRis P.