News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Fuel Filter

Started by TNNBENZ, 13 October 2021, 02:09 PM

TNNBENZ

In a cast iron Fuel distributor for a 4.5L M117, there are small filters in each fuel line outlet.  3 of mine have fallen out ! They are not supposed to just fall out are they ?  Also I lost one !!!  How do I get a replacement ? I have a alloy Fuel dist. but it does not appear to have one .
   Anybody got any spares ???
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

UTn_boy

These filters weren't ever available separately.  You'll have to buy another one or send yours to Larry Fletcher at CSI Flowtech for repair. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

TNNBENZ

Quote from: UTn_boy on 13 October 2021, 05:39 PM
These filters weren't ever available separately.  You'll have to buy another one or send yours to Larry Fletcher at CSI Flowtech for repair.
Thank you UTnboy........I was hoping u or someone else might have 30 or 40 laying around...... ::) Also are they supposed to just fall out !!!
   Got the FD apart & it looks good inside. Details in another thread.
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

UTn_boy

Fuel distributors aren't something I keep around.  Bad ones are useless, used ones are on borrowed time or dead, and new ones are thousands of dollars for no good reason.  Sure, I can take them apart and put them back together with a new re-seal kit, but I have no way to reset the output of each port.  That adjustment is something that cannot be kept in check when taking apart.  I believe one of the members on here tried to play hero himself by trying to re-seal his fuel distributor only to end up having it pour raw fuel into the engine and ended up bending one of his connecting rods and breaking some piston rings.  Mind you, it was against the advice of many people.  He ended up spending thousands of dollars to repair/rebuild the engine.  Just be careful, and don't expect successful results. 

raueda1

Quote from: UTn_boy on 14 October 2021, 07:05 PM
Fuel distributors aren't something I keep around.  Bad ones are useless, used ones are on borrowed time or dead, and new ones are thousands of dollars for no good reason.  Sure, I can take them apart and put them back together with a new re-seal kit, but I have no way to reset the output of each port.  That adjustment is something that cannot be kept in check when taking apart.  I believe one of the members on here tried to play hero himself by trying to re-seal his fuel distributor only to end up having it pour raw fuel into the engine and ended up bending one of his connecting rods and breaking some piston rings. Mind you, it was against the advice of many people.  He ended up spending thousands of dollars to repair/rebuild the engine.  Just be careful, and don't expect successful results.
As that same infamous member let's be clear about the event.  The issue wasn't rebuilding the FD, that went beautifully.  The problem was forgetting to reinstall the plunger causing hydrolock.  No rings broken.  After fixing all the damage the rebuilt FD went back in and has worked beautifully since.
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

UTn_boy

Quote from: raueda1 on 14 October 2021, 10:01 PM
Quote from: UTn_boy on 14 October 2021, 07:05 PM
Fuel distributors aren't something I keep around.  Bad ones are useless, used ones are on borrowed time or dead, and new ones are thousands of dollars for no good reason.  Sure, I can take them apart and put them back together with a new re-seal kit, but I have no way to reset the output of each port.  That adjustment is something that cannot be kept in check when taking apart.  I believe one of the members on here tried to play hero himself by trying to re-seal his fuel distributor only to end up having it pour raw fuel into the engine and ended up bending one of his connecting rods and breaking some piston rings. Mind you, it was against the advice of many people.  He ended up spending thousands of dollars to repair/rebuild the engine.  Just be careful, and don't expect successful results.
As that same infamous member let's be clear about the event.  The issue wasn't rebuilding the FD, that went beautifully.  The problem was forgetting to reinstall the plunger causing hydrolock.  No rings broken.  After fixing all the damage the rebuilt FD went back in and has worked beautifully since.

It wasn't you I was referring to.....it was another member.  This happened before you were a member of the forum.  Unfortunately, I can't find any of those posts or that member.....I have to assume they're no longer a member on the forum.