News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

fuel filler damage

Started by w116john, 31 July 2019, 02:40 PM

w116john

Recently I have noticed the smell of fuel in the car, when the car is half full or so,  i looked everywhere and really noticed it when I opened the boot / trunk, the filler neck had a little fuel on it on the and there was also a little below the fuel filer cap

i have attached a photo of the inside of the fuel filler and it looks as if it has been tampered with, I had the car in for some body work and its possible it happenned there.

you can see 2 indentations, what do ye think, is that a pin hole in one of them?

The key for the fuel filler cap is the ignition key,  they may not have realized it.

I will need to take of the rubber collar\ seal and take a look

regards
john

w116john

another photo, this could be old damage but its a bit of a coincidence

ptashek

Looks like a pinhole, and quite recent too - the tank is made from mild steel and, given there's quite a lot of water in modern fuels thanks to ethanol, it would rust quickly.
Probably easiest/safest way to fix would be a two-part epoxy glue or resin with good resistance to gasoline and ethanol. I've fixed similar damage on my W124 with fibre-glass reinforced resin, and it's holding up very well for over a year now.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

w116john

Hi Lukas

thanks for that, i might try and cut away a little of the seal to get at the metal and put some epoxy on it.
i just did a quick check online and those seals are not easy get, i will ring Mercedes tomorrow and hopefully i can get one

all the best

john