News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Frothy oil sump tank

Started by Rolo, 24 February 2020, 05:53 PM

daantjie

Yes from memory there are orings as well as a gasket (s) where the flanges connect to the oil pan on the motor. I recall changing these out during an oil change and at that time all those parts were still available ex Classic Centre for not too much coin.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Rolo

All set to buy and install new seals.  But before I do that, need to ask a stupid question.  It's been so many years since I had normal oil level readings -- car was burning 1 1/2 quarts per  100 miles before rebuild.

When you stop the car to take an oil reading, do you leave it running after driving?  Or do you as the manual suggests, stop the engine for a couple minutes, then restart, and take the reading?

The reason I ask, is if I shut down, wait 2 minutes, restart, let it idle, and check the oil, there's no foaming.  All the bubbles burst.

daantjie

Personally I just let it idle, then take the reading with the motor running.  Never been an issue for me.  Most important is for the motor to be fully warmed up.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Randys01

level ground...hot idle..no bubbles.

Rolo

We have all new seals and fittings and no oil leaks---and a foamy oil tank.  Oil in reservoir is bubbly only on top, solid fluid in the bottom 1 1/2 feet of the tank leading us to believe that it's on the return side.

Two theories.  We have seen hoses that "gas" but don't weep fluid.  But the hoses look pretty dry for the that to be happening.

The pick up for the return side of oil pump has a leak.  One other thing, is my shop says they've seen this a couple times before.  Foamy tank, no leaks.

TJ 450

Interesting. Are they original hoses? If so it might be worth having them remanufactured. I had mine redone with an externally braided truck brake hose that was available in the correct size for all three and is suitable for the purpose (still no leaks after almost a decade).

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Rolo

They are original.  Almost all of the rubber on this car is OEM.  Nice heated garage and no smog here.