News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Front spheres in Melbourne

Started by foss, 04 June 2012, 09:34 PM

foss

Thanks for the helpful info guys, last night about 10.30pm I decided to have another go at installing the sphere under the battery. I had success this time finishing about 2 in the morning, thanks WGB for letting me no about the bolts in the wheel arch.
The problem I have now is the suspension won't raise, I think the pump is stuffed, after I turned the disk back to normal setting and gave it a rev nothing happened, I dont think there is any pressure. The last few months that I have driven the car the suspension light has stayed on, only turning off when I'm on the freeway.
Can anyone tell me the procedure for changing a pump and even a way of knowing if it is faulty or not.

Foss.
1979 450sel 6.9 SOLD BACK TO ROBERT D.
2002 745i
1978 450sel 148,000kms SOLD
2004 S430
2019 S350D AMG line

TJ 450

The pump just needs to be primed, you do this by diverting the high pressure line into the tank and running the engine for a short while until a steady stream of fluid emerges. Then shut the engine down and reconnect the line. You should be fine after that. 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

WGB

First congratulations on your perseverence and indefatigable endeavour.

Pumps are not that difficult to replace but getting a pump better than you already have may be an issue.

If the pump is not leaking I would check a few other avenues first.

1) Make sure fluid level in reservoir is at least the high level on dipstick if not a little higher.

2)Make sure the car really is depressurised by a flick of the central valve to the 'M " position then bleed the pump by unscrewing the end of the flexible hose from the pump where it attaches to the central valve. Then with the end sitting in the reservoir (with the cap and dipstick removed) start the engine and see what the flow is like.

It may just need bleeding but if the flow is strong it suggests the pump is operational.

Here is a picture of my pump being bled with it's adequate flow rate and it also shows the disc with the cable disconnected right around in the "m" position.

Stop the motor and screw the connector back up tight and try again - make sure the central valve disc is fully home as even a mm out will stop the car from raising.

It can take a few minutes to raise a fully flat car after opening the system.

Bill

Tony66_au

Quote from: foss on 24 June 2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the helpful info guys, last night about 10.30pm I decided to have another go at installing the sphere under the battery. I had success this time finishing about 2 in the morning, thanks WGB for letting me no about the bolts in the wheel arch.
The problem I have now is the suspension won't raise, I think the pump is stuffed, after I turned the disk back to normal setting and gave it a rev nothing happened, I dont think there is any pressure. The last few months that I have driven the car the suspension light has stayed on, only turning off when I'm on the freeway.
Can anyone tell me the procedure for changing a pump and even a way of knowing if it is faulty or not.

Foss.

Good on you for having a red hot go Foss, I reckon the system will come up after a prime/bleed mate.

foss

Cheers for the response guys, first I checked the level of fluid in the tank, it was only about 20mm from the bottom of the dip stick.
Then I primed the pump, there was a steady flow similar to your pic Bill. Then I gave it another go but it still didn't rise. I then checked the tank and it was empty.
I've just picked up 4 liters of fluid from a Mercedes parts place in laverton $15 a liter(lemforder ) I'll top up the tank tomorrow morning when I go out where the car is stored.
Do you think this will solve it?

Cheers Foss.
2002 745i
2004 S430
2019 S350D AMG line

WGB

It sounds very hopeful.

Just watch you might need to do another bleed if the pump has sucked any air.

The flow from the pump should be steady but it definitely isn't a garden hose.

If the pump is pumping and the car isn't rising there may be something wrong with the check balls or your central valve - but let's not be defeatist yet..

Make sure you do have the central valve disc in the "normal" position - even 1 mm out and it will not lift as I have said before .

Bill

john6007

Hi,

My 6.9 suspension was slow to pressurise so I did a pump bleed over the weekend, as Bill describes below although I did take the engine up to 2,500 RPM. Now it pressurises straight away. 

After reading Foss's work & all the comments I might even give a sphere change a go.

John
79 - 450SEL 6.9 #5628 &  #6466, 92 - 300CE-24, 98 - MX-5, 89 - Ducati 906 Paso

foss

Success ;D I put 2 liters of fluid in the tank, gave it another bleed and all good.
What a difference new spheres make, went for a 30km drive, I let my dad have a drive while I sat in the back like a king haha.
Tomorrow I think I'll take it for a nice long drive into the country to stretch her legs. Thanks again for you help everyone.

Foss
2002 745i
2004 S430
2019 S350D AMG line

TJ 450

That's the way, you really get to soak up the atmosphere when riding as a passenger in the back. :)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

WGB

Great to hear - congratulations on perservering.

Bill

Tony66_au

Bewdy!

Nice work Foss and you got to enjoy the fruits of your labours too!