News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Front Caliper needed - Correct part confusion?

Started by carzilike, 22 October 2023, 11:35 AM

carzilike

Hi all, my vehicle is a 1977 280SE D-jet version - european import - 4spd manual
I need to order the front right caliper as the shop says its leaking and cannot be rebuilt

When I go to order online - I see "From Chassis # 150380" on two of the 3 options
My question is, am I right to order NUGEON 9702706B given that my chassis # is below 150380? My chassis is 066599

I have already had an issue when ordering a fuel pump off FCPeuro due to this chassis (To and From) confusion
I just wanted to verify before paying for shipping / duties etc

Thank you

ptashek

For a 280SE (C116024 as its designated in Xentry) there were two OEMs - Teves and Bendix. Xentry specifies you should install calipers of the same OEM, in pairs. There are no chassis brake points listed.

Front left: A1164200083 (Teves) / A1164200283 (Bendix)
Front right: A1164200183 (Teves) / A1164200383 (Bendix)

MB now only sells both as a re-manufactured part, under the same part number, so I'm assuming they're identical in construction.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

mrkozzy

Ditto to ptashek comment above.

I'm having a faulty drivers side caliper repaired this week as it was occasionally sticking.

Ordered a pair both left and right (in my case front) as you must ALWAYS replace or rebuild them in pairs front or rear.

As to your vehicle being a 1977 D-Jet.are you sure.  I think it must be a K-jet for that year.
MrKozzy

carzilike

Here is a picture of the engine bay. based on where the airbox is, I'm told its a D-jet by other members of this forum. I ordered a fuel pump for a K-jet and was told its incorrect so it was sent back and replaced.

The shop the vehicle is at is saying I only need to replace the one side. It looks like someone has already tried rebuilding the calipers (recently) using a rebuild kit but the front right has failed

carzilike

Quote from: ptashek on 22 October 2023, 12:47 PMFor a 280SE (C116024 as its designated in Xentry) there were two OEMs - Teves and Bendix. Xentry specifies you should install calipers of the same OEM, in pairs. There are no chassis brake points listed.

Front left: A1164200083 (Teves) / A1164200283 (Bendix)
Front right: A1164200183 (Teves) / A1164200383 (Bendix)

MB now only sells both as a re-manufactured part, under the same part number, so I'm assuming they're identical in construction.

So does this mean I can order any of the 3 listed parts on Rockauto?
I guess I will get front left and right as it can't hurt to replace both
How much labour would you estimate this would take to replace both?

rumb

From Wiki:

Fuel injection

In 1975, the W116 was upgraded with a new fuel injection system to comply with revised exhaust emission standards in European markets. A slight power reduction was a result of this update. In 1978, a series of engine upgrades restored original performance levels with new fuel injection systems. Initially the early models (1973-1974) of the W116 with the Twin Cam inline 6 used the D-Jetronic fuels injection system with computers and MAP sensor that are both prone to failure after more than 20 years of use. From 1975 onward they used the K-Jetronic mechanical fuel injection system, a less complicated system that proved to be much more reliable in the long run and injectors cost 6x less than the D-jetronic system. The W116 equipped with the K-Jetronic system, used a cast-iron fuel distributor, which can be prone to rust over time if moisture or water is present in the fuel. This was changed to an alloy fuel distributor in the following model W126 and is not subject to corrosion.

Are you sure what year your car is?  The year built is often different than the year on the title. The title used the year the car was first sold. Maybe that is why it is hard for you to get the correct parts?
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

carzilike

I am going off of what other members suggested in my last post (https://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/car-stalled-1977-280se-fuel-pumps/msg157321/#msg157321)

I always assumed its K-jet based on the year as Wiki suggests. I had a 1978 euro spec as well and I recall it having an airbox on top not off to the side. It was also a 280SE and also 4spd manual.

This one being 1977 is differently setup so I thought I may be in the wrong in assuming its K-jet but I guess not?

Is there a way to decode my vin to get the correct year so I can know once and for all? I know euro cars sometimes get registered as 1 year later than they should be. So given that, could this be a 1976 280SE which got imported and titled as a 1977... 

either way this is only adding to my confusion as I just need to pick the correct caliper from Rockauto so I can know for sure it will fit and not get stuck with it

carzilike

From what I see on various parts website, the 280SE begins from 1977 - they don't list the SE model in 1976

rumb

Post a photo of the radiator support data plate. The date code should be on there.

You def have D-Jet.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

ptashek

Quote from: carzilike on 22 October 2023, 05:53 PMSo does this mean I can order any of the 3 listed parts on Rockauto?
I guess I will get front left and right as it can't hurt to replace both
How much labour would you estimate this would take to replace both?

Does the site you're looking to buy from part search based on OEM number? This is what usually rely on for 3rd party part.

I'm no mechanic, but I've rebuild a set of rear axle W124 callipers in about 4h, from removal, disassembly, cleaning, to re-assembly, re-installation and bleeding the system.

If all they do is replace like for like, I'd be asking questions if it's booked at more than two hours labour per axle.

mrkozzy

Yep same as mine.  Its a D-Jet.

Altho the K-jet replaced the D-jet in 1975.  You sure yours is a 1977?
MrKozzy

andrewk

I'd avoid both brands on that site, like the plague.

ATE (Teves) or Bendix (both are OEMs for Mercedes) or OE Mercedes parts are the only brake calipers you should use on your Mercedes - they have the correct safety approvals and quality control. Replace or rebuild in pairs. Seals kits are available, as are all other components needed. Replace the hoses at the same time (made by ATE), clean out the lines and reservoir with isopropanol and flush/bleed thoroughly with fresh ATE SL/SL6 brake fluid.

Safety systems are not a place to cut corners. Rebuild kits are also cheaper than those callipers.
1979 450 SEL 6.9 (#5532) - silbergrün metallic

daantjie

Quote from: andrewk on 25 October 2023, 03:54 AMI'd avoid both brands on that site, like the plague.

Assuming you mean RockAuto?  Agreed they do cater to more of the bargain basement type brands.  A pity as I used to buy from them over the years and they used to stock good brands like TRW and Lemforder but no more from what I can tell.  They are really competitive though if you just have a beater you need to keep on the road and don't care about quality parts. Service is excellent too even to Canada, they ship here with FedEx and quote you an all in rate, so the shipping quote is delivered (DDP) to your door.  Not bad, but yes if you have a W116 and want to keep it nice with proper OEM parts then it's not the place for you.  I buy parts there for my Honda Civic which I am trying to kill but being a Honda I'm stuck with it ;D
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

ptashek

If using rebuild kits, I can recommend Frenkit. Spanish company, really solid quality parts.

https://www.frenkit.es/en

carzilike

the shop is saying the calipers look to already have been rebuilt as the bolts etc are new and they suggest replacing them as the job doesn't look to be done right.. therefore I am stuck having them replaced. car is at the shop now with the FR caliper taken off and the one I ordered off RockAuto is not correct. I'm told its too small for my car