News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Front axle spindle ball joint press

Started by WGB, 03 July 2008, 03:40 AM

WGB

The following tool is used to press the steering ball joint from the steering spindle on 123's and 126's.

The picture on the ebay web site demonstrates how it is used

Konik Tools E-bay Link

I contacted the seller and asked if it was also suitable for a 116 spindle but he did not know and would not commit himself.

My press is probably not of sufficient height to allow this tool to be used so I did not follow it up but does anyone know if there is a significent difference between a 126 and a 116 steering spindle that would prevent this tool being used.

Bill

koan

From what I can see of the tool which isn't much it doesn't look at all like what's in the manual.

The book says to clamp the knuckle in a vice with soft jaws and drive out the joint with a suitable mandrel, which looks like a round piece of steel that presses on the joint.

The installation tool is 116 589 04 62 00, which is illustrated here on the Samstag too site.

Job 33-440 in the library.

koan

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

WGB

Thanks Koan for the reply.

I know what the correct tool looks like but as far as I am aware that is quite an expensive tool whereas this one is more economical.

Driving out the old one effectivly destroys it and the new one must be more carefully forced in either by the correct vice-like tool as you have explained or this one advertised here which uses a more readily available press (Albeit a bit larger than the one I possess by the look of the photo)

In reality it is likely that if and when I do my ball points I will talk to the agent here and either pay or borrow the correct tool at the time but I was interested in if and why a 116 spindle is different to a 126.

I would have thought they were the same.

Bill

koan

I buy a few tools, usually general purpose things like pullers, ball joint separators and the like, but $400US for the installer on the Samstag site is a bit much for a tool of limited use.

That would be my approach too, a trip to the dealer who should have the correct tool. I had my rear axle boots crimped by an independent with the proper tool, cost was a slab of beer, as opposed to nearly $2000 quoted by a dealer.

Don't  know if 116/126 joints are the same.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!