News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Front ATE caliper overhaul - pictorial

Started by WGB, 06 June 2010, 09:51 AM

koan

Don't know the part number but you probably won't really want them when you see the price. Think it was PB (sad he's not around any more) who said 126 wires were much cheaper but something needed adaptation.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

kastad

You're probably right. I'm starting to get used to overpriced parts by now... But thanks anyway, maybe I'll fix it the MacGyver way or something. Waiting for spring time now, stocking up parts  ;D No fun in working on the car in winter time Norway.  ;)

sannerud

Part nr. 544 on the EPC picture is cable harness-brake lining wear indicator. Left side: A1165407909 Right side: A1165408409
If you search for the parts at www.autoroyal.no you get this prices: left side 2645 NOK and right side 3400 NOK
(for those not familiar with NOK: 1000 NOK is 175 USD)

koan

$US460 and $US595 roughly equates with $600 AUS I was quoted a couple of years back.

Equivalent 126 parts are much cheaper and can be used with some minor adaptation I believe.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

WGB

So long as the contacts haven't been left out in the weather what is wrong with second hand.

It's not a very critical part in a well serviced car and there must be a large number of old harnesses around that can be recovered to an acceptable level.

Bill

craigb

First a question, how have people gone getting the dust seals on the caliper and anyone worked out any tricks in this dept. Just done a w108 and reminded what a huge PITA this is.

With the brake line not a huge expense for the original item and not how much it would cost but most brake places will make up a length based on your old one and you can carefully bend it to match the shape (but it is probably going to be $50 and your time I would expect but just thought I would mention it.)

Also agree with the shock and also the tighten before loosen thing but also mention I have had good results from  a penetrant that I have a complete mental blank about right now - inox i think it is! Not RP7 or WD 40, seems to work better..... and i am down the farm and cant go to the shed and check the can.

Another product that seemed to work sometimes but not every time is "freeze release" with is a loctite product. First time I used it seemed to work when others didn't but more recently havent had success but every nut and bolt is different! I just like to keep the best range of weapons I can!
1980 280s

kastad

Thanks for the picture and information, sannerud! But what an awful price for the harness! It's cheaper to buy a wrecked car and pull the parts. I believe I'll look around a bit on the internet for some used parts. Google translate helped me locate some nice parts in France, so the market is big. Anyways, these brake pad wear sensors are not the most critical part. But of course, I'm interested in installing it. Time will show!