News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Fondmetal rims

Started by Denis, 12 August 2006, 12:54 PM

Denis

Hi fellows

I finally fitted the rims that I bought for my 350SE. I did not know WHAT they were except that they were like those on the black car shown on www.w116.de.

That is probably correct; I got the rims for 180â,¬ and they are almost mint. I mounted them with used Pirelli 225/55 16V (yes,  I was loaned the tyres) and took the car for a ride : WOW a nineties 5 series Bimmer (oh sacrilege  :o...) is no better despite my old Konis.

I like this setup because :
1 - the rims are Fondmetal, supplier of Tyrell and Minardi F1 cars
2 - they have the "period" look - I didn't like to fit 21st century rims on a 20th century car :D
3 - the car looks "normal" by today's standard of performance saloons

Now :

a) can anyone tell me HOW to post pictures in there emails ?
b) what is your honest opinion of these rims/ tyre option

And yes, Pirellis wear rapidly but they do well while they last  ;D

Cheers mate

Denis

Paris, France

COLD weather here, 19C  :o

oscar

Cold in Paris?
Finally the world is moving in the right direction and our spring is on the way. ;D
Coincidentally I heard and saw my first Fly this morning since last summer.  Hmm!  That means mosquitoes are on the way too  :(

You're 116.de site link didn't work.  I think I know which site you're referring to but I don't have it bookmarked.

You can start an album in this forum's gallery then link from there your pictures to a post. Here's the instructions
http://forum.w116.org/index.php/topic,3.0.html

If you're emailing them to anyone and your using outlook express, click the paper clip icon somewhere up top usually near the send button and then attach files.  You cant attach files thru a PM I think.

Good luck!
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Brian Crump

Dear Denis,
Cold in Paris??? Sacre Bleu!! What happened to Le Canicule? I fried for 5 weeks in Paris - then a normal week and arrived home to Spring here in Oz last Wednesday. You French are just wonderful people and your food is great - and Paris Plage was a real buzz  - but how do you get by without La Climatisation?
It is your fault that I have grown fat from sitting in Place de Vosges eating icecream every evening!!!!!
The NSW MB club is having a 116 day next weekend - maybe you should fly out for it?
Regards,
Brian
PS: What fat I put on from glaces I sweated off on the Metro so all is forgiven.

Denis

Hi Brian

La clim, air conditining never was a big thing  in Paris because it is expensive, noisy and usually ends up blocking a window through which fresh air can come in. But since 2003, sales of private air conditioners has risen dramatically, even I will eventually do it if these hot spells (la canicule) happen so often - it's called global warming Georges, ask the scientists.

Denis

Still cool today in paris

Denis

Sorry guys

I still can't post pictures : I am reported as a SECURITY VIOLATION  :o
whenever I try to add items or an album.

Denis

From the land of fattening sorbets  ;D

oscar

Are you signed in whilst trying to upload?

Even if you are, you may get a security violation warning if you try and add an album to the first page of the gallery.  I think that happened to me.  Select Show Room or Garage or whichever album is appropriate.  Then click either add album or add item.

I've only added 2 photos but the gallery's easier to use than previous attempts I've tried to add to it.  It takes a little while to get the hang of it, but if you create an album in one of the four main ones, you can then add sub-albums, grouping your similar pics into separate categories, but keeping them all in one spot.  I'll get round to it myself one day. See how you go.

Quote from: Brian Crump on 13 August 2006, 03:38 AM
The NSW MB club is having a 116 day next weekend - maybe you should fly out for it?

I just read about that on the mbcnsw forum and I've got that weekend off too.  I had thoughts about joining the club within the next few days so I could attend but in all probability, I'll be home.  I've got the other 116 weekend planned so I doubt I'll be able to justify another 1200km round trip so soon.  You'll have to keep notes.  ;)

Denis

Hi fellows

Thanks Oscar ! I finally got pictures of my rims into the gallery  ;D

It is fun to have rims manufactured by a company that actually tried to get into F1 racing  8)

QuoteThe NSW MB club is having a 116 day next weekend - maybe you should fly out for it?

Well Brian, I will not be able to attend, basically the security guards at CDG airport don't want me to bring the 350SE because it has many fluids, gels and bizarre materials in it and after what happened or actually what did not happen thanks to MI-5, we are all on red alert here § but I tried  ::)

BTW, I will not tell anybody here (with a 6.9) what the price of hydraulic fluid for the hydro-pneumatic suspension is here. If it were not for shipping costs...

Denis

Paris, France

Land of smooth, self-leveling ... and eventually unreliable Citroens

s class

Denis,

Congrats on the wheels - it looks great.  Also its cool to finally see your car - now we feel like we've properly met you.  Is that Astral silver - I've always liked that on W116.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Denis

Hi S class and all

Yes it is the classic Mecedes colour : astralsilber 735G; Although I like it, my preference is ikonengold !!!
I will have it repainted in that colour, eventually.

The car needs much work hence my daily driver W126...

Cheers

Denis

Paris, France

robertd

Hi Denis,
The wheels look great, They are just like traditional merc alloys but more modern.
By the way I have just picked up my set of genuine 116 type alloys that I have had totally refinished ( sand blasted and resprayed original silver metallic ) Then they were fitted with SUMITOMO (made in Japan) "DUNLOPS" in 215/70 x14 the factory specified size but only speed rated for 200kph. I still haven't had time to take her out for a test run on the new tyres. Maybe this weekend.
Regards Robert
116   1978 450SEL 6.9 #  4848
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 6225  SOLD
116   1978 450SEL  6.9 # 5128  SOLD
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884  SOLD
116   1974 450SEL  DJet

oscar

Aha! Denis.  It never occurred to me your 350se was merely talked about and never displayed. 

Very unique wheels.  From the thumbnail pics I thought they looked similiar to some Aussie 80's Ford cast spoked wheels.  I aplogise. How wrong I was.  They look great and fat, or is that phat? I like 'em.

Denis

Hi fellows

I was pleased to see that they were not BBS although I believe that BBS imitated these FONDMETAL rims.
I hear that these rims were very expensive and I believe it, anything is possible in Italy  ;D

Ciao

Denis

Pariji, Francia

Tomi

I luv those fondmetal rims and have those exact rims on my SL. I think they fit any old MB.