Garage > Mechanicals

Flushing 6.9 Suspension

<< < (4/4)

Rolo:
I got the whole system flushed.  Washed out the oil tank.  It was in the parts cleaner for 1/2 hour and we used a 1" paint brush to scrub the bottom.  An incredible amount of rubber.  Nothing shiny like metal that we could see.  Cleaned the strainer which had a little rubber and replaced the filter which had blackened after only 2 years.

Used daantjie's method for flushing and pumped through 5 quarts until the oil was clear and for good measure used the bleeder valves front and rear.  There was still a lot of black oil after the up-down flushing method described above.

One thing is that the oil was all foamy when it came out of the bleeder.  Foamy and dirty.  Now the leaking pump and, if I can figure out how to get it out, the front leveler are off to Martin.

rumb:
My theory is the foaming oil is from ruptured spheres.  The nitrogen from them mixes into the oil.

UTn_boy:
The bits of rubber you saw are also from the ruptured diaphragms in the accumulators.  Glad you cleaned it out! 

Rolo:
Martin says I'm just seeing the oil under pressure.  Milky for a few minutes, then it's just dirty oil.  Spheres are all new, so hopefully no more crud in the tank.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version