News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Flasher Relay replacement.

Started by Big Tiny, 20 July 2019, 03:17 AM

Big Tiny

I have unfortunately had an issue with my flasher relay. Globes seem fine. Just had intermittent fast flashing that seem to be getting worse.

Does anyone have known suitable replacement ? Does it have to be a Thermal Relay ?

I wired in a Tridon 3 prong flasher relay today that lasted all of about 30 seconds before frying itself  :-[
This is the tridon I used. HD13 electro mechanical flasher. I wired ground, ignition and switch wire per diagram and it was working perfectly just didn't last very long.
https://tridon.com.au/Products/Tridon/35/478/flashers-and-relays/104171/flasher-relays-electro-mechanical/1770/HD13

I have seen others using the Hella part. 3016. https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/hella-3016. Is there a particular reason this one would work over the Tridon one above ?

Anyway, not keen on frying another relay, if issue may be something else.

Keen to hear some other opinions.

Cheers.

Brett

rumb

If Im not mistaken, there is no separate relay. the hazard switch is the flasher.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Big Tiny

On the 116 there is a seperate relay.

I looked at Koans pictures and he has reversed Pins 31 and 49.

I didn't wire it this way, just wired per Tridon's diagram. Thinking this is where it went wrong.

Can anyone confirm Pin outputs for 280se 116.

Big Tiny

Ok my bad,

I did see koans instructions. It looks like Pin location on the hella is different to the Tridon ??

Anyway, looks like I switched high output (49a) and pin 31 around  :-\

New, relay and should be fine.

OLDGOLD

I can't speak for other W116's,  but in the 1980 SD, the flasher relay is under the steering wheel behind the kick panel. Everyone kept telling me it was the hazard switch, but after a year of annoyance, I finally realized where it was by following the sound.

revilla

Correct.
Right next to parking brake pedal and cruise control module
Ref # 0 335 200 007. Bosch

UTn_boy

I realize the issue at hand may already be solved, but I thought I'd show this pin out location for anyone interested.  Also, if it's of any use, the Mercedes part number is 001-544-97-32.  These are still readily available new from various places, including Mercedes. 

1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

Big Tiny

Yes above posts correct.

For reference, any two pin relay will work (once rewired). Or a 3 pin relay with a ground wire.
If you use 3 pin flasher relay with one indicator light output and one for dash light output, simply ignore the dash light wire. So essentially becomes a 2 pin.

So heaps of options, no need to chase the Hella relayed if your parts store is out. Just about any relay will work, many options for around $10-15.