News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Fitting 6.9 febi accumulators spheres front and rear

Started by 6.9original, 30 September 2018, 09:53 PM

6.9original

Hi All -
In order to fit 5 new 6.9 accumulator spheres (3 front, 2 rear), would the group be able to offer a procedure and precautions please?
Thank you.

rumb

First get a set of line wrenches.  If the connections are stuck heat , with a torch , let cool and try again.

the front right one remove the battery tray. the one under there remove the two nuts holding it's bracket from inside the wheel well and remove the accumulator with the bracket.

search the forum and you will find other info also.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

daantjie

Safety first :)
Use goggles and heavy gloves. Extreme pressure involved. Best to unload the axle you are working on before you start cracking lines.
Once you jack up the car you should hear fluid being dumped back into the tank via the leveling valves.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

6.9original

Quote from: rumb on 01 October 2018, 07:48 PM
First get a set of line wrenches.  If the connections are stuck heat , with a torch , let cool and try again.

the front right one remove the battery tray. the one under there remove the two nuts holding it's bracket from inside the wheel well and remove the accumulator with the bracket.

Thank you. I have not been able to find any form of A to Z procedure online, including here.
With the switch set to the service position, the oil should drain back to the reservoir, but should the bleeders still be released? I imagine so to relieve pressure. Daantje's talk of high pressure is intimidating but with due care, and the above two steps taken, what else must be done please? I have 5 x febis ready to fit. MB original 344.0 hydraulic oil is very expensive - what suitable alternatives are ok?
Many thanks.

daantjie

Quote from: 6.9original on 30 December 2018, 09:32 PM
Quote from: rumb on 01 October 2018, 07:48 PM

Thank you. I have not been able to find any form of A to Z procedure online, including here.
With the switch set to the service position, the oil should drain back to the reservoir, but should the bleeders still be released? I imagine so to relieve pressure. Daantje's talk of high pressure is intimidating but with due care, and the above two steps taken, what else must be done please? I have 5 x febis ready to fit. MB original 344.0 hydraulic oil is very expensive - what suitable alternatives are ok?
Many thanks.

First jack up the car to unload the axles, then place the control disk in the "M" position.  That way the system will be completely pressureless, if you have the disk in "N" or "H" position before you started the procedure.  Also, you need to have the master accumulator (5th sphere) fully pressurized before you start this.  Best to run the car @ 2 000 rpm for 30sec to 1 min to ensure you have reached "cut out".  If you want to be extra sure, yes opening the bleeder valve with a hose and catch bottle attached would be prudent.
As for fluid, use Febi ZH-M fluid.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

rumb

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

ptashek

Quote from: 6.9original on 30 December 2018, 09:32 PMMB original 344.0 hydraulic oil is very expensive - what suitable alternatives are ok?
Many thanks.

I'm using Liqui-Moly Central Hydraulic System Oil 2300 in the SLS on my W124. It's specifically designed for MB SLS systems that need MB 343.0 hydraulic oil.
The factory oil is a re-packaged Castrol Hyspin ZH-M. It used to be sold as Aral Vitamol ZH-M as well.

Edit: After double checking, the W116 oil is slightly different -> Liqui-Moly Central Hydraulic System Oil 2200 (replacement for MB 344.0)
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

6.9original

Thanks all for replies - most helpful.

Globalism extends only so far - Costa Mesa CA seller of manuals won't ship to Australia.

Liqui-Moly Australian site doesn't stock 2200 grade hydraulic fluid (MB344.0), only MB345.0 ... aaargh.

The search continues ...

Happy new year all!