News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Final spark plug verdict

Started by 200 hp, 24 September 2010, 03:18 PM

200 hp

I've researched the forums on what's the best spark plug, particularly for the M116/M117 engines. But being a forum with quite a lot of history, opinions seem to change a few times. I'm hoping we can all determine what's best once and for all here.

Really old threads from 2006 suggested Bosch products, but more recent ones say NGK is the way to go. Non-resistant BPR5ES or BPR6 's to be precise. Gapped to 0.8 I read somewhere? But research here has also told me these ones fowl up easily.

Though NGK also offers other, supposedly higher quality plugs of the BPR5 type than just the 'Standard' ES bottom of the range ones. The EY V-Power, EGP G-Power and the, frankly unnecessary in my opinion, IX Iridium performance plugs. I want plugs that are long lasting and hopefully, improve fuel efficiency. Promises to improve performance don't interest me that much. The V-Power and G-Power plugs are tempting, but the G-Power is of platinum type. Forum research tells me Platinum should be avoided for our cars.

peterq

I use the NGK BPR5/6 (can't remember which without going and looking) - very handy because we have lots of them in the shop. They're widely used in chainsaws, brushcutters, etc. Your average chainsaw will be running at 10-12000 rpm, single cylinder, 2 stroke, so that's a lot of very rapid sparking.

TJ 450

Normally, the plugs shouldn't foul so long as the car is driven properly, but if you have some oil consumption it can be an issue.

I'm using BP7ES in the 6.9 and BP6ES in the 450, the latter being recommended, with no problems. It's best, but not critical, to avoid the resistor plugs.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

etmerritt33

I would agree with Tim. I'm using NGK BP6ES in my 6.9. I have also used the Silverstone non resistor silver electrode plugs with excellent results. We know from experience that the basic NGK plugs work well in these engines. There is no need to look further.

- Tom