News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Failing electric window

Started by PvG73, 11 May 2019, 05:15 PM

PvG73

Hi there. The left-hand front electric window on my 1975 280SE is playing up. When I bought the car there was a clicking sound from that side, and the window juddered reluctantly upwards. The seller said he had a convenient fix that involved welding in some strengthening part, which did indeed work for 18 months, but I can tell is now about to expire again. Before I take my door apart to inspect, does anyone have any suggestions? Is it the regulator and is there a fix?

daantjie

No easy fixes on this unfortunately.  Replacement of the regulator is the way to go. Make sure you lube up all the moving parts well before buttoning it all up.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

rumb

The cast aluminum frame of the regulator warps over time. Difficult to straighten without breaking. There is a fix involving screwing 1/4" square rods to the frame that could hold everything in better alignment. There is a discussion of this somewhere on the forum. New regulators are expensive and I would consider adding the braces even on new ones.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

PvG73

Quote from: rumb on 12 May 2019, 09:37 AM
The cast aluminum frame of the regulator warps over time. Difficult to straighten without breaking. There is a fix involving screwing 1/4" square rods to the frame that could hold everything in better alignment. There is a discussion of this somewhere on the forum. New regulators are expensive and I would consider adding the braces even on new ones.
Thanks for replying, will try to track it down.