News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

factory spec towing hitch

Started by jjccp, 09 May 2006, 08:05 PM

jjccp

Oscar,

Next time I take the boat out, I'll snap a few pics for you. Hopefully when I catch a big fish.

Jim
1977 280 SE
1978 San Juan 23
1979 6.9 #6846

The Warden

jjccp, that is COOL!!!

Any idea if this guy may have an interest in making any more?

Once I determine whether or not I'm going to keep my 116 long-term, I may be interested in one...

jjccp

Hi Warden,

Thanks, I'm very pleased with the way it turned out.

I have no idea if my guy would make more or another one, I didn't ask him, but I'm glad to pass on his contact info if you want it. I'm also glad to pass on the drawings that I have. I tried to post them in the gallery, but it didn't work. They are .pdf files. If someone can tell me where (or how) to post them, I will. Once you have the drawings and the pictures that our good friends posted, you can try to check with a local custom hitch company in your area, like I did.

For you Warden, the company that used to make them for Mercedes USA is located in Lodi, CA, not too far from you. I'm familiar with that area because I used to live in Walnut Grove, CA.

Let me know and I can post the info here or email it to you.

Jim
1977 280 SE
1978 San Juan 23
1979 6.9 #6846

oscar

Hey jjccp; FYI re those pdf files, they DO work.  Or they did the other day....adn a quick check they still do.  There's no pic but left click on "no thumbnail" then again on "download document". Both pdf file links work this way. Cheers.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Des

Did you have to drive your W116 right into the water to launch the boat?
If so remember to wash it after so you don't get salty water under the car, causing it to rust away.

I always leave the tounge part of my towbar on, handy for reverse parking, you dont damage the bumper if you hit a wall, and if someone decides to rear end you, you have a bit of extra protection at the rear of the car.

jjccp

Oscar, that's great that the drawings did get posted. There's just no thumbnail. Now anyone can take the drawings to their local trailer shop and see if they can get "hitched."

Des, no I don't get the car wet at all. I back the car and trailer down the boat ramp until just before the car touches the water. Where I live it's all fresh water throughout the Great Lakes system. But that is great advise about washing off the salt water, thanks. I'm heading out fishing this morning and I'll snap a few pics of the 116 launching the boat.

As you know, we have the US bumpers here. I don't feel I need any other protection that the ball might give me. I like the look better without the ball.

I just realized that I received a cap for the receiver and I never put on. Now it really dissappears. Check it out:

I just hand polished my wheels. You folks will appreciate it.

1977 280 SE
1978 San Juan 23
1979 6.9 #6846

jllgd

Old topic but still interesting: Anyone know where to obtain a trailer towing hitch for the W116?
Preferably a US 6.9. Thanks.

daantjie

Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber