News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Exhaust flange 450se

Started by Thegger, 28 July 2019, 07:47 AM

Thegger

Hi.
I had exhaust manifold with these catalytic converters on. Now i have got euro header im gonna put on. Can anyone help me with what flanges i should weld on my pipes to make this fit. Look at the photos.
Thanks

UTn_boy

There were two or three different versions of header pipes and manifolds for both European and U.S. models, which gives us a total of 4-6 different versions combined......assuming you have a V-8 model.  The 6 cylinder versions add even more possibilities to the equation.  The European versions used male to female connections with aluminum sealing rings, as did the early U.S. versions.  The late models with catalyst used a flared flange that did not require any seal.  To my knowledge these flanges for the header pipes aren't available separately.  You'll have to buy/find the header pipes that mate up to the manifolds.  Also, if you're using Euro header pipes you'll have to also install Euro manifolds.....at least on the right side on U.S. versions.  The only difference between the Euro and U.S. left side manifold on the V-8 is the addition of the EGR valve.  The later the model the more important this is.  In addition, you'll have to use different heat shields, as the Euro and U.S. versions had different heat shields that were mounted in different locations. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

Thegger

Thanks for your reply. Im just using the euro header. Im not gonna use the egr. And im building custom pipes 2". So its just these flanges 😊

UTn_boy

Well, my point was that the Euro headers won't always mate up to the U.S. manifolds, especially on the right side.  The flanges are likely male/female with the aluminum sealing ring on both, but they connect at different locations, and the header pipes will be bent differently.  When I converted my 450sel from U.S. exhaust to Euro exhaust I had to change the right side manifold, as well as the heat shields underneath.  You kind of have to have the heat shields.  Otherwise the body shutz will melt/burn off and your interior will become rather uncomfortable from the excessive heat.  After the body shutz burns off bare metal will quickly start to rust.  I learned all of this the hard way. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

Thegger

Oh  :( but i havent removed the heat shields. I will only have one rear muffler, and the rest i will put the pipes exactly where the original exhaust was. And in the engine Bay i need to customize and make it fit. Yes the location are very different for the flanges in the engine room. But i have tried the headers on, and there is no problem. I just need the right male female connections to weld on the new pipes. My new headers are 4 to 1 on driver side and 2 + 2 on passenger side.

rumb

Have you inquired at a muffler shop, seems they should be able to make them?
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Thegger

Good idea.
I was hoping someone here knew of any shops i could buy them, but maybe I should just do what you are suggesting.
Thanks.