News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Euro Headlight installation

Started by samcast, 31 March 2005, 01:31 AM

samcast

Hello all,  I've just purchased a 450SEL and have been doing some minor cosmetic modifications.  

One of the modifications is Euro Headlights.  While reviewing the specs I've noticed that they come with
Vacuum leveling.  I'm not so sure that the US model carries that function.  Any information would be great as to how to get the headlights installed.  

The Headlights are OEM Bosch shipped from a vendor in Germany.[/b]

Mforcer

Not being in the US myself, I have not come across the differences between Euro and US models. I have never even seen the US bumpers in person!

What modifications have you made? What modifications are you still planning? Any chance of you uploading some photos of your work to either here or the gallery? I always like to see these cars in an 'undressed' state followed with the finished product looking like a million dollars ;)
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Captain Spalding

Quote from: "samcast". . . One of the modifications is Euro Headlights.  While reviewing the specs I've noticed that they come with Vacuum leveling.  I'm not so sure that the US model carries that function.  Any information would be great as to how to get the headlights installed.  

The Headlights are OEM Bosch shipped from a vendor in Germany.
Congratulations on your purchase!

Sorry to jump on this thread so late. I am a newcomer to the forum. I am in the process of researching this issue myself. Here's what I know.

The purpose of the headlight height adjustment is to compensate for the effect of a full load of passengers and luggage, or even a trailer, on the aim of the lights. In Europe, proper headlight aim is of a higher priority than it is in the U.S., and many cars have this feature. I am not sure if it is a legal requirement there or not. Headlight beam height is adjustable via a rotory switch either on the dash, above the climate control, or on the console, near the gear selector. The switch looks something like the stereo speaker fader adjustment. The mechanism is vacuum actuated, and I assume installation would require running a vacuum line though the firewall and behind the dash to the switch. I am not sure of this. Perhaps the rotory switch is electrical, and operates a vacuum servo under the hood somewhere.

This photo of a W123 cockpit shows the switch above the climate controls, on the left side.

If your car has self leveling suspension, this feature would be redundant.

In any case, don't forget to hook up the city lights when you do the install. :D

Good luck,

? Spalding

BTW, if you don't mind my asking, where did you source your lights?

Denis

Hi samcast

My 1973 W116 originally came from Stuttgart with adaptation for France. The headlights of a 1973 has no vacuum levelling feature - it was either available in later years or optional. My 1979 W123 had them as standard.

You can tell that they are vaccuum controlled by the fact that ...there is a vaccuum adjusting device. take the back of to see that.

Hope this helps

Denis (beautiful day in Paris)

HerrBenz

I have a diagram for the wiring and the vacuum.  Send me an email Hotgti91@yahoo.com and I'll send it to you.

David