News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Euro 6.9 66k miles Value pics added

Started by Wrighttbenz, 20 November 2016, 05:58 PM

Wrighttbenz

Hi guys. I have a 79 euro 6.9 that I have been working on. I found the car 8 months ago. It had been in storage for 20 plus years. True euro model with blue velour interior. Documents showing it was imported when it was 4 years old.
The car is very solid and the interior is really nice. Dash is perfect. Completely original car.
I have it running now had the fuel distributor and WUR rebuilt by CIS and remove the tank for reseal and cleaning.

I am in the process of buying a house and need to focus on other things for a bit.

What do you think the value of this car would be ?
Original unrestored. Not perfect but easy restoration.

If anyone on the forum is interested in the car please contact me.

daantjie

No such thing as "easy resto" ;D sorry could not resist.
How is the rust situation, suspension tight and operating right? Transmission shifting tight and right? Heat and air working?  Honestly too many variables to make a good assessment.
$20K USD seems to be the sweet spot right now for low-ish miles 6.9's with minimal needs. The ones I've seen go for these prices were very tidy all round with extensive  service history. Recently one sold on Bring a Trailer for 21.2K USD. Go check out the lsiting and see how yours matches up.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Wrighttbenz

True when I say easy resto it's relative.
Suspension works goes up and down but needs
Accumulators.
Very solid car with little rust.
Trans is shifting good
Heat and ac work well.
I have seen prices all over the place. Not many are euro models so that is the
Interesting aspect to this car. More hp better bumpers cool velour interior.
If I took it all the way to restored it would be quite valuable but I can't finish this car at the moment.

daantjie

Maybe post a few pics so we can have a gander and play armchair valuation  ;D
Daniel

nathan

trust me, if you went all the way and had it restored, you would be down 5 figures several times over!
116s and 6.9s are not investments by any stretch of the imagination!
hopefully you find it a good home.
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

daantjie

Yup what Nathan said ;D  Top price I've seen of late was about $70K US but it was a true time capsule, which as we know will have it's own set of needs due to long periods of inactivity.  as we all know these cars need to be driven regularly over long distances.  You guys Down Under I think are in the best possible position with dry climate and long stretches of road to stretch its legs.  Here in Canada drive time is limited due to extreme weather, unless you want to tackle cross Canada road trip in the summer.  Maybe one day.. ::)
Daniel

Wrighttbenz

Quote from: daantjie on 21 November 2016, 10:50 AM
Yup what Nathan said ;D  Top price I've seen of late was about $70K US but it was a true time capsule, which as we know will have it's own set of needs due to long periods of inactivity.  as we all know these cars need to be driven regularly over long distances.  You guys Down Under I think are in the best possible position with dry climate and long stretches of road to stretch its legs.  Here in Canada drive time is limited due to extreme weather, unless you want to tackle cross Canada road trip in the summer.  Maybe one day.. ::)

I would disagree. This car has low miles and is solid. This is a minor restoration. For a concoarse car sure you can spend as much money as you choose but for a modest redo this car would be perfect.

rumb

Without posting a lot of pictures it's all conjecture.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Peter

Looks like a 20K+ car to me, very nice interior however many things are subject to small considerations i.e. the suspension, extent of rust etc etc. I always ask if the cruise control works as this is an indicator of previous/current owners emphasis on proper maintenance. I believe that 6.9 genuine buyers are well educated and discerning when it comes to these "small" considerations as they equal $$$$$$.

Wrighttbenz

Quote from: Peter on 21 November 2016, 09:43 PM
Looks like a 20K+ car to me, very nice interior however many things are subject to small considerations i.e. the suspension, extent of rust etc etc. I always ask if the cruise control works as this is an indicator of previous/current owners emphasis on proper maintenance. I believe that 6.9 genuine buyers are well educated and discerning when it comes to these "small" considerations as they equal $$$$$$.

It certainly could be a $20k car but I agree there are plenty of variables. The previous  took car of the car for the period of use then parked because he didn't want to subject it to Chicago winters. He purchased a 4.5 w116 to drive. He then basically just stored the starting it on occasion but not much else.

The car defiantly needs accumulators but suspension works and isn't leaking.

It has been pointed at some I believe and really would need paint again.

Rust is very minimal I have been all over this car very clean undercarriage.

I woul love for someone from the rank to hand me $15k and send me pics of it when completed.

floyd111

aftermarket mobile phone in there.. interesting. Looks 80's
Is that a chrome-top indicator stalk? If so, what's all that about?

Car sure looks mint in the photos, but if I were a buyer, I'd want to see the state of the head lights interior together with the grille trim, that seems to have seen quite a few miles. You sure bout that mileage? Do you have all the historical paperwork with it?

In all cases, if it were my car, I'd never sell it for 15K. That blue velour is not my color, but it looks in very nice shape and that's very rare. Interior looks very clean and the metal and chrome around the rear door/sil corner looks very comforting as well.
Are those 14" or 15" Bundt's on there? Fuchs or aftermarket?

Wrighttbenz

Quote from: floyd111 on 21 November 2016, 10:51 PM
aftermarket mobile phone in there.. interesting. Looks 80's
Is that a chrome-top indicator stalk? If so, what's all that about?

Car sure looks mint in the photos, but if I were a buyer, I'd want to see the state of the head lights interior together with the grille trim, that seems to have seen quite a few miles. You sure bout that mileage? Do you have all the historical paperwork with it?

In all cases, if it were my car, I'd never sell it for 15K. That blue velour is not my color, but it looks in very nice shape and that's very rare. Interior looks very clean and the metal and chrome around the rear door/sil corner looks very comforting as well.
Are those 14" or 15" Bundt's on there? Fuchs or aftermarket?

The headlights are in great shape. I have some records with the car. I feel certain the mileage is correct but that is a hard thing to prove.

To be honest I haven't thought about the wheels but I recall the seller saying they may be Fuchs.  Not sure what you mean by chrome indicator stalk ?