News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Engine shuts down when release of gas pedal.

Started by Thegger, 12 November 2018, 12:04 PM

Thegger

After engine rebuild i tried to start the engine. It sounded good when i pumped the gas, but a bit shaky and rough idle when low on rpm.

The engine havnt been started for about 8 years before i did.

I drove it warm and had about 20 min on 2000rpm for the new camshafts. The shake dissapeared and it sounds good all down to 650 rpm, but it cant idle by itself.

Any suggestion? Vacuum leak? Idle control valve? EGR?

I found charcoal from the canister under the car also... Came out at the bottom.

Now i have just adjusted on the air intake a bit and it holds about 700rpm,  so i can have it on EU Control and see if it passes.

daantjie

Sounds like vacuum leak. Triple check all connections and lines.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Thegger

Quote from: daantjie on 12 November 2018, 12:21 PM
Sounds like vacuum leak. Triple check all connections and lines.

Ok, ill try that. Thanks

rumb

If your charcoal canister has a hole in it, that is probably a good vacuum leak right there.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

daantjie

Quote from: rumb on 12 November 2018, 02:45 PM
If your charcoal canister has a hole in it, that is probably a good vacuum leak right there.

To my knowledge the canister is not sealed but has a mesh at the bottom. In later models there should also be a check valve in this vapor control system.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Thegger

Quote from: daantjie on 12 November 2018, 03:30 PM
Quote from: rumb on 12 November 2018, 02:45 PM
To my knowledge the canister is not sealed but has a mesh at the bottom. In later models there should also be a check valve in this vapor control system.

Yep that might be the problem. It is a mesh at the bottom, but no check valve. It never was either. Its connected to a purge valve, but i connected one line from the purge valve to the inlet manifold. That line was plugged with a screw earlier. So that could be the reason.

Thegger

Yeah, disconnected line from canister and its about 500-550 rpm idle. Abit low. One problem less 😜 thanks