News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

EGR Valve

Started by brettj, 05 May 2010, 08:15 PM

TJ 450

Quote from: Luke1 on 06 May 2010, 11:14 AM
Once the top is off, do you clean the inside, and with what?

I'll give a bit of a pictorial demonstration when I return from work.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

brettj

I checked their on-line catalog and the only thing that came up is the EGR gasket. I'll check again. Maybe I missed something.

Luke1

Thanks TJ, that would be very helpful.  Brett, I don't what else to tell you, except what I saw.  It may be best to call each site, you would know then.

brettj

I haven't had a chance to give the sites a call but I did check them again last night and only found the EGR gaskets. Perhaps they sold out of what they had.

TJ 450

I had a look at the EGR valves today. It looks as if the one with the single vacuum connection is pretty well a sealed unit. It could probably be tested for operation with a vacuum pump though and the valve seat scraped clean with a screwdriver etc.

I was hoping to get some pics of this one, but there wasn't much I could do unfortunately. The one I have down under the house here was seized.

The other type (two vacuum lines) can be tested manually in-situ. First, you remove the plastic cap, then press down on the exposed shaft/nut. If it moves freely then the valve works at least. For further inspection/cleaning, the valve needs to be removed and all carbon scraped off with a screwdriver and/or sanded down to a smooth surface. This is what I did with the one on my 6.9, and that works perfectly now.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Luke1

Thanks Tim, I'll give it a try when my car returns.

Luke1

TJ,

Are you saying scrape the exposed shaft/nut, or scrape the outer unit itself?  And you are saying to totally remove the unit off the manifold to clean it?  Any type of cleaning agent?

TJ 450

I mean to clean the valve and valve seat. This means you need to remove the valve from the car and "the business area" is then accessible for cleaning.

This is what I mean:

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Luke1

Gotcha!

Thanks again!

Luke

brettj

Wow, that EGR is pretty gunked up. I 've been looking for a new EGR and still haven't found one. So I guess cleaning my old one may be a good idea. Looks like the underside of this valve is where the failure occurs. Did cleaning yours make a difference in engine performance?