News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Dull vibration while under slight load

Started by 1978bajabenz, 15 April 2008, 02:54 PM

1978bajabenz

Hey guys!  It has been awhile since I've posted but have rediscovered you.

My 78 280SE is having an odd issue, while accelerating the car has a very dull low vibration I can feel thru the steering wheel but not the gas pedal or brake...it feels like the flexi disc went bad (replaced last one nearly 4 years ago...) that seems worst as the car is in top gear and pulling slightly.  Has anybody else had a similar issue?  The car is in overall great shape with apx. 140,000 u.s. miles and an auto trans. 

Mike

oscar

I wouldn't necessary rule out the flex disc as some new parts aren't all that new.  A visual check should confirm though.  Don't forget the rear flex disc on the diff.  Two other parts that improved the stability of the driveline is the transmission mount and rear diff mount.  I had both replaced at the same time so I can't be sure what affect either made except to say the car felt so much smoother afterwards.  Both of the old mounts had virtually collapsed.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

1978bajabenz

Thanks for the input, somehow I didn't realize there were 2 flexi discs under there.  Am going to replace them in the morning.

Mke
San Diego, CA

WGB

I don't know what sort of mileage you do but four years for a front flex-disk was not unusual on well used cars.

My guess would also include the engine mount as oscar suggests - either a collapsed one or a misaligned one on the same side as the steering.

Bill

allrock

check the transmission support or the engine support bushing..