News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Driving impressions with new timing chain fitted.

Started by WGB, 18 May 2008, 08:24 AM

WGB

Finally got my 6.9 back on the road today with the air-con re-fitted (but not pumped up yet), driveshaft repaired and re-fitted , new 300K AMG replica speedo ( which is actually really good because I can now see up to 120k through the small wheel ) and new timing chain and tensioner.

End result after change of chain was 2 degrees of remaining "stretch". I decided to run it for a few thousand K and then re-check and correct with ofset keys when it is at 4 degrees.

Ran the fuel pump by turning the key with the transmission in gear to prime the K-jet (The fuel lines had been opened to remove the LH cam cover) and it kicked over and started on the first start. Then re-set the ignition timing.

Impressions of a brief drive -
1) Idle is now almost as steady as my 450 with almost none of the previous wobble.
2) Noticeable reduction in general engine clatter
3) Improved low end torque and now feels like rear wheels can be spun off idle if provoked.
4) More urgency at about 3,500 revs and up but I didn't push it too much until new chain settles into old cogs.

Flushed with success I removed the drivers seat, dismantled it, removed the squab cover, put some extra padding into the side bolsters (which were a little under-stuffed) with foam and then replaced the metal cleats that hold the central portion of the cover to the "Horsehair" with some new smaller diameter wire.
When I recovered them over Xmas several of these were missing off the old driver's seat squab and the only wire I had available was a little too thick and a couple of the fixings were palpable under the leather and in one spot where my large A^&e sat there was a risk that one might rub through.

Any way all is now well and I hope with a pump up I might have my aircon back as well as having my car back to driving condition.

Bill

TJ 450

That's excellent, Bill. Having replaced the chain on my 450, it certainly seems to have a profound effect... even just for peace of mind. My 6.9 will receive the same treatment in a few months time.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

oscar

Nice work.  Did you contemplate replacing the cam sprockets too?  Are they m100 specific and perhaps very expensive compared to the 450 sprockets you replaced?

Quotenew 300K AMG replica speedo ( which is actually really good because I can now see up to 120k through the small wheel )
It hadn't crossed my mind that this would be an advantage of the 300km/hr speedo.  That's great news.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Big_Richard

You sure know how to get a person excited bill.

I cant wait to do this!

I don't think ill be touching the cam sprockets, i believe they are over 600$ each, closer to 800 from the stealership. there maybe a cheaper source though.

WGB

The cam sprockets in a 6.9 seem to wear less than a 4.5 and anyway you can buy the 4.5 ones for less than $100 each. The dealer price for 4.5 cam sprockets 3 years ago was $375 each and I purchased mine at the time from M-B Spares for $78 each.

It is much cheaper to live with a couple of deprees of lag or else wait for 4 degrees to turn up and then use a pair of 2 degree offset keys from AutohausAZ at about $10 each.

Bill