News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Drain Plugs

Started by TNNBENZ, 25 November 2020, 12:20 PM

TNNBENZ

Where are the drain plugs for a 1977 450SEL.  I need to drain old out and put new anti-freeze in. The cars fuel system is completely apart a waiting rebuild  parts from Australia. My service manual does not show the plugs in radiator section.
Also anyone with best advice as to removing thermostat and draining/refilling anti-freeze on a non-running car is appreciated greatly...
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

ptashek

Quote from: TNNBENZ on 25 November 2020, 12:20 PM
Where are the drain plugs for a 1977 450SEL.  I need to drain old out and put new anti-freeze in. The cars fuel system is completely apart a waiting rebuild  parts from Australia. My service manual does not show the plugs in radiator section.
Also anyone with best advice as to removing thermostat and draining/refilling anti-freeze on a non-running car is appreciated greatly...

Radiator drain plug is on the engine side, bottom right corner (when facing the engine bay).
Block drain plug is on the left side of the block, under the exhaust manifolds (if I recall right).

Draining on a non-runner won't be an issue. Refilling with the thermostat removed should work too, but it won't be ideal.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE