News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Door vacuum bye-bye?

Started by daantjie, 08 February 2018, 10:04 PM

daantjie

Dave I think less than 1 second is good.  It is nowhere near the speed of a solenoid type system.  I for one love the silent movement of the knobs. Such cool old school tech 8)
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

raueda1

Quote from: daantjie on 12 June 2018, 01:28 PM
Dave I think less than 1 second is good.  It is nowhere near the speed of a solenoid type system.  I for one love the silent movement of the knobs. Such cool old school tech 8)
Then I'm good, thanks.  Related anecdote:  I took the car to a stereo place last fall and the guy wanted me to install a remote entry and alarm system.  I told him there was no chance on the remote entry -- the system works by vacuum, not solenoids.  He then got pretty condescending at my display of obvious automotive misinformation and insisted that they could install it in any vehicle.  Then I showed him.  His mouth dropped open and he recanted.
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

ptashek

Quote from: raueda1 on 12 June 2018, 01:58 PM
Quote from: daantjie on 12 June 2018, 01:28 PM
Then I'm good, thanks.  Related anecdote:  I took the car to a stereo place last fall and the guy wanted me to install a remote entry and alarm system.  I told him there was no chance on the remote entry -- the system works by vacuum, not solenoids.  He then got pretty condescending at my display of obvious automotive misinformation and insisted that they could install it in any vehicle.  Then I showed him.  His mouth dropped open and he recanted.

He was right in the sense that it can be done. Just not an easy off-shelf thing to do.
The way it can be done is by attaching a remotely controlled servo motor to the driver door master vacuum cylinder, which is normally actuated by turning the door lock.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

raueda1

Quote from: ptashek on 13 June 2018, 05:19 AM
Quote from: raueda1 on 12 June 2018, 01:58 PM

He was right in the sense that it can be done. Just not an easy off-shelf thing to do.
The way it can be done is by attaching a remotely controlled servo motor to the driver door master vacuum cylinder, which is normally actuated by turning the door lock.
No doubt, almost anything is possible as this board demonstrates again and again.  But that guy didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of pulling it off! 
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0