News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Door panel removal

Started by BigGreenMachine, 21 July 2022, 06:07 PM

BigGreenMachine

After paying for a shop to replace a bent window regulator, I want to stay ahead of the other three windows by getting in there and lubricating the gears, slider rails, and window channels in each of the remaining doors.

I've been searching here for a good thread that will walk me through how to safely remove the door panels without accidentally snapping any of the male tabs off - something that's happened too easily on previous vehicles I've owned.

Is there an authoritative thread on safe door panel removal that may not be turning up in my searches so far? I've found good advice on which lubes to use and what to watch out for once I'm inside, but not much yet about how to get the panels off properly.

Thanks!

IMG_2274.jpg

rumb

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Jan S

Love the color of your car's interior  8)

This reminds me of I have to do the same maintenance job on my car. Thanks!
1975-mod W116 450 SE with 6.9 engine

Gpapaniko

Recommend you search the your tube channel called Mercedessource.  Excellent tips on all things old w116, w123 mainly.  Another good source is this you tube clip.  https://youtu.be/Wjj4iHvM5Tw.  Just a guy pulling apart a 116 one part at a time.

And finally, once you remove all the screws and bits, lift the door card upwards before you pull it off.  Works on all 4 doors
Never stop loving
1980 280SEL

raueda1

A good project!  It allows you to fix some things you might not even know are broken. 

While you're in there take a close look at the door latch lever assembly.  It's very possible, or even likely, that it's cracked and therefore banging on by just one of the 2 screws.  It may still seem to work OK but will probably be wiggly. Just replace it.  Still available from various sources and not too expensive.  It's also possible that the large nuts behind the large handle screws will be frozen to the screws.  Removing them may destroy the integrated clips so they just spin.  If so don't panic, they're available too.

Next, is your locking system working?  If not this is the time to test the pneumatic locking switch.  Easy, but you may have to fiddle with the positioning to get it right.  FWIW, I got a bad switch from a well regarded vendor.  That drove me nuts for a while.  So test it before installing, don't assume it's OK.  Good luck and cheers,
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

BigGreenMachine

Quote from: rumb on 21 July 2022, 06:33 PMIt all here (and more!) in the service manual!

https://handbook.w116.org/Chassis/72-Doors/

Thank you for spoon feeding me this one - I appreciate it!

BigGreenMachine

Quote from: Jan S on 22 July 2022, 07:32 AMLove the color of your car's interior  8)

This reminds me of I have to do the same maintenance job on my car. Thanks!

Thanks!

BigGreenMachine

Quote from: Gpapaniko on 22 July 2022, 09:22 AMRecommend you search the your tube channel called Mercedessource.  Excellent tips on all things old w116, w123 mainly.  Another good source is this you tube clip.  https://youtu.be/Wjj4iHvM5Tw.  Just a guy pulling apart a 116 one part at a time.

And finally, once you remove all the screws and bits, lift the door card upwards before you pull it off.  Works on all 4 doors

Thanks for this. I love the mercedessource videos, but for some reason this one appeared to be for sale vs free when I searched their library. Thanks so much for the intel.

BigGreenMachine

Quote from: raueda1 on 22 July 2022, 10:34 AMA good project!  It allows you to fix some things you might not even know are broken. 

While you're in there take a close look at the door latch lever assembly.  It's very possible, or even likely, that it's cracked and therefore banging on by just one of the 2 screws.  It may still seem to work OK but will probably be wiggly. Just replace it.  Still available from various sources and not too expensive.  It's also possible that the large nuts behind the large handle screws will be frozen to the screws.  Removing them may destroy the integrated clips so they just spin.  If so don't panic, they're available too.

Next, is your locking system working?  If not this is the time to test the pneumatic locking switch.  Easy, but you may have to fiddle with the positioning to get it right.  FWIW, I got a bad switch from a well regarded vendor.  That drove me nuts for a while.  So test it before installing, don't assume it's OK.  Good luck and cheers,

Great advice - thank you! Fortunately the locks are indeed working well - thanks to the same recent trip to the shop. I had a bent window regulator, leaky vacuum hose, and sticky door latch all fixed, and all in the passenger side rear door.

I'm really happy to have it back working, but can already see a few of the other windows laboring and would really like to do the preventative maintenance myself before it grows into something I'll end up paying someone else to fix.

Next project after windows will be servicing the sun roof. It worked well enough when it was last closed, but that was several years ago and will need some attention before I try opening it up again.

Jan S

Quote from: BigGreenMachine on 26 July 2022, 06:43 PMNext project after windows will be servicing the sun roof. It worked well enough when it was last closed, but that was several years ago and will need some attention before I try opening it up again.

I recommend to completely disassemble, clean and grease the sun roof and cable. And maybe adjust the clutch.

You will have great access to the entire area. It's not difficult but takes some time. 
1975-mod W116 450 SE with 6.9 engine

BigGreenMachine

Quote from: Jan S on 26 July 2022, 06:53 PM
Quote from: BigGreenMachine on 26 July 2022, 06:43 PMNext project after windows will be servicing the sun roof. It worked well enough when it was last closed, but that was several years ago and will need some attention before I try opening it up again.

I recommend to completely disassemble, clean and grease the sun roof and cable. And maybe adjust the clutch.

You will have great access to the entire area. It's not difficult but takes some time. 

Thanks! I agree it will need a full disassemble and clean/lube. I'll share updates when things get underway.