News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Does anyone know what this is?

Started by BCDC, 03 December 2020, 12:42 AM

BCDC

While the car was on the hoist I saw this vacuum thingy with a cut off piece of hose on it. Does anyone know what this is and where the hose may have been connected to in the past? Its on the inlet side of the engine. The car runs fine but the doors don't lock, not sue if it may be related. Thanks.

BCDC

Tasmania
1978 280SE Cream with blue interior. With SLS

daantjie

Looks like a fuel pressure damper.  The connection should not be a vacuum connector rather it's a leak line connection which should connect to the valve cover in case of diaphragm rupture.  At least this is how it works on the V8's.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

BCDC

Thank you. I will try to track down where the line may go. Not sure what a "diaphragm rupture" is or what it may do?

BCDC

rumb

The diaphragm in it evens out the pulses from the fuel pump. When the diaphragm gets old it can rupture and the gas will come out of the vent port. The gas has to go somewhere then. Some cars it vents in the intake valley and others it goes to a big hose on the intake manifold.  Personally I would rather vent to to under the car than flood the engine or oil with excess gasoline.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

BCDC

If that's the case, what would you suggest I do?