News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Do front calipers float?

Started by Rolo, 24 February 2020, 07:09 PM

Rolo

I'm getting a creaking sound that I thought was suspension pick up points/bushings, but bouncing on the bumper won't duplicate the noise unless the car was just stopped.  And then it makes one creak and stops.

The caliper seems to be the source since I can't hear the noise over bumps and it happens when the nose dives under braking and then when the nose rises after easing off the brakes.

Makes me think the caliper is floating and the mount needs rust removal or lubrication.  Do they float?

Randys01

W116 front calipers are not by definition floating or sliding..they are classed as fixed as the caliper is firmly affixed to the mounting bracket and features dual pistons.  That aside, fixed caliper setups can creak and groan and squeal etc and removing your pads, and a general clean up and lubricating the pads with approved "pad lubricant" is worthwhile.
Floating calipers are popular in lighter more modern vehicles altho one of the 1st cars to offer 4wdisc  after Jag in the early 60's was the humble Renault 8 circa '63. ... .so they have been around awhile.

Rolo

I just installed new pads and used ATE caliper lube.  Might need to try again.  Thanks.