News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Distributor Condensor broken and unavailable

Started by 74MERC280SE, 14 December 2011, 09:27 PM

74MERC280SE

Hmmm............ Started the car to move it this afternoon and after a bit of a cough and stutter it settled into a decent idle of around 800rpm.... I let it idle for a about 90 seconds and then slowly moved off........... all good for a cruise around the block and then back home UNTIL i had to reverse it into position.... all symptoms came back and the screwdriver trick worked?!.... I'm so over this problem.

Spoke to the mechanic and they want it back on monday to try a reconditioned distributor and alternator. ::)

koan

Quote from: 74MERC280SE on 17 December 2011, 03:32 AM
Spoke to the mechanic and they want it back on monday to try a reconditioned distributor and alternator. ::)

Nothing suggests there's anything wrong with the alternator.

What are you doing with the screwdriver, just lightly touching the distributor and engine block?

If yes it sounds like there is an earth missing but the earth through the mounting should be good, makes no sense to me.

What about trying a bit of wire in place of the screwdriver? Securely wrapping a bit of wire round the distributor and taping it on and connecting the other end to some convenient spot on the block.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

74MERC280SE

Thanks Koan, I'll try that..............I'll try anything at this point!!!

The screwdriver trick is to put the end of a long screwdriver into the "hole" of the bracket that secures the distributor (Next to the bolt that secures it) and then push the shaft of the screwdriver onto the side of the distibutor with a bit of pressure... as if to cant the distributor over the right a little.

The difference is immediate.... release the pressure and the missing starts again.

Big_Richard

74MERC280SE

Hi Major Tom.... Yes, A little play in the dizzy shaft... not sure what is acceptable "play" but it does move slightly when pushed side to side.... no more than .5mm though.

And Koan, The wire around the dizzy connected to the block didn't make a difference... but i'm real appreciative of ALL suggestions!!!

The thing that annoys me is that the car was running fine from sitting in a shed for 2 years and now that i've given it a birthday with new fluids, filters , hoses, points, etc etc etc it has decided to play up.......... That old adage is so true...... If it aint broke dont fix it!!!  ::)

KenM

No expert, but have you checked the main neutral cable at the block, sounds like a poor connection to the chassis somewhere?

koan

Quote from: 74MERC280SE on 17 December 2011, 07:49 PM
And Koan, The wire around the dizzy connected to the block didn't make a difference... but i'm real appreciative of ALL suggestions!!!

OK, from your description of what you're doing with the screwdriver it's obviously not  earthing but distortion of the case that mixes the running - unless the distortion fixes a bad earth!

Still worth checking the block earth.

Do the contact breaker distributors have a little flexible pigtail that connects the vacuum advance plate to the distributor body?

koan

74MERC280SE

Hi Koan, Yes, the little wire is there from the points to the dizzy body.... But the strangest thing has happened.

Yesterday afternoon I went out and moved the car ready to take to the mechanics this morning. He started first go and after a bit of a stutter he settled into a nice idle.... I thought O.k, How long is this going to last so I drove around the block and saw a fellow 116 owner (Chocolate Brown 450SEL) and sat there idling for around 10minutes without a hiccup as he looked over my car for the first time. I explained my problem and he said he had exactly the same problem whiuch was resolved with new leads, dizzy cap and points!

In any case i drove around the suburb without drama and thought o.k, lets go for a longer drive and ended up on a local freeway heading south....... 70 kms later I was back home and can only say I must have a schizophrenic W116 as the damn thing didn't miss a beat. :o... They are so beauitiful to drive when they are running well but you guys know that already!

I hopped in this morning and the car started well and off we went to work... again, without incident or drama, even with the two stops and restarts on the way including filling up with fuel (Shell 98 Octane).

I'd love to think this issue has been resolved but I have a feeling this afternoon on startup my "issue" will be back.

Stay tuned! :-\

koan

Quote from: 74MERC280SE on 18 December 2011, 03:08 PM
I explained my problem and he said he had exactly the same problem whiuch was resolved with new leads, dizzy cap and points!

Exactly the same thing including screwdriver trick or really just a bit similar?

You'll get there in the end.

koan

74MERC280SE

No screwdriver trick required.....Just new bits n pieces!  ;D

74MERC280SE

Update... Idle in Drive O.K... Idle in Park or Drive is surging...stuttering problem under acceleration has resurfaced.

Found a complete new distributor which is being installed today... Fingers crossed this will resolve the problem. ::) ::) ::)

74MERC280SE

Had the car delivered to me this morning and took the mechanic back in it.......... drives like a 2011 W116!

Smooth, tight and punchy......... Looks like the new distributor has done the trick! (Touch Wood!)

He even commented how good the motor is with readings as good as or better than current model cars... Unreal for a 1974 D-Jetronic!

Haven't got the bill yet but at the moment this is the best christmas present so far!

Big_Richard