News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Different brands of Accumulators

Started by WGB, 29 November 2007, 11:02 PM

WGB

I don't know if anybody is interested but I have photographed the three brands of accumulators that I now have.

The left one is an OEM one with M-B markings and weighs 2.5 kg. It is physically a little larger than the other two.

The middle one is one I took from the rear and is identical to the Lemforder that replaced it so I would think it is a Lemforder - it is noticeably smaller in dimensions and has a cut-out bracket in lighter gauge steel and is probably a bit short on Nitrogen Gas - it weighs 1.5kg. It almost looks like new and could easily pass for a near new second hand sale but on the car it was SNAFU.

The one on the right is a Febi - it has no red marking but the box has the same part number as the OEM one. It is superficially similar to the OEM one but is again slightly smaller than the OEM and weighs 2 Kg.

Big_Richard

CraigS

Good point ! You would expect a generic one to still be the same - at least physically. Are they dated Bill ? Any other markings pressed into the body that could identify the manufacturer ?
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

WGB

The packaging has some dating on it and I will look over the weekend and post what is there as well as look at numbers and codes but I'm at work this arvo and going out to a meeting tonight.

My guess is that the OEM has been made by Bilstein but to a slightly higher specification than the FEBI branded one.

Bill

koan

I've got a set of five on order, wondering now what I'm going to end up with. I suspect they will come from MB Singapore so I might be OK.

Whatever they are I'll report what I get.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

WGB

Checked the dates - the two Febi's look like 05/05 and the OEM says 12/06.

I replaced the central accumulator tonight with the OEM one and will do the two front ones tomorrow with the new febi's.

The old central one I replaced tonight and the left front are  both Febi's.

Bill

CraigS

Febi is a brand name of Bilstein. On their web site, there is only mention of the Febi brand of accumulator, and no separate part number for a Bilstein one, so it will be interesting to see if you can identify the oem one.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

WGB

Replaced the central accumulator last night and the two front ones today. It had two febi's in the left front and central in the left wheel arch and a very old and tatty looking Lemforder beneath the battery tray on the right.

I took the opportunity to replace the left front headlight unit with a better one with a better reflector.

I wish either the manual or some wise person had told me that the bottom mount of the right hand accumulator is mounted to a bracket that can be easily unbolted from within the wheelarch as I unbolted it OK using a 3/8 drive with universal to get into the limited space and the difficult angle but putting in the last mounting bolt was starting to cause a reality shift until after an hour of gymnastics I realised there is another easier way.

Initial drive is a much softer ride with noticeably more active self levelling when stopping and starting.

Hard to tell what the handling is like as I didn't drive it for long enough and there was quite a strong crosswind.

Next step will be replacing the front leather over Xmas and hopefully get the 450 painted.

Bill

CraigS

I think you might find that Ryan mentioned this in his post about his suspension woes.

Quote from: WGB on 02 December 2007, 06:18 AM

I wish either the manual or some wise person had told me that the bottom mount of the right hand accumulator is mounted to a bracket that can be easily unbolted from within the wheelarch as I unbolted it OK using a 3/8 drive with universal to get into the limited space and the difficult angle but putting in the last mounting bolt was starting to cause a reality shift until after an hour of gymnastics I realised there is another easier way.

Bill

WGB

Thanks Craig - must have missed it.

Makes the world of DIY more meaningful if emotion starts to come into it but at least I worked it out for myself after the finger cramps set in at about the one hour mark.

I get the feeling it caused angst to a previous spannerman which was why I think it had not been replaced for some time and was probably the major cause for the poor handling to the left with the right front feeling like it was dropping in a left hand turn. It was even worse before the rears were replaced as not only did the right front drop in a left hand turn but the left rear would jack up as well.

It would have been very good in a right turn only circuit.

Haven't really had a good run to see what happens now.

Bill

MB_Mike

Quote from: WGB on 29 November 2007, 11:02 PM
I don't know if anybody is interested but I have photographed the three brands of accumulators that I now have.

The left one is an OEM one with M-B markings and weighs 2.5 kg. It is physically a little larger than the other two.

The middle one is one I took from the rear and is identical to the Lemforder that replaced it so I would think it is a Lemforder - it is noticeably smaller in dimensions and has a cut-out bracket in lighter gauge steel and is probably a bit short on Nitrogen Gas - it weighs 1.5kg. It almost looks like new and could easily pass for a near new second hand sale but on the car it was SNAFU.

The one on the right is a Febi - it has no red marking but the box has the same part number as the OEM one. It is superficially similar to the OEM one but is again slightly smaller than the OEM and weighs 2 Kg.

Way to bring up an old post eh?

How much of the weight difference do you think can be attributed to the heavier mounting bracket? Also has anyone had experience with Coteco spheres?

I could have Febis for under $700 or Lemforders for under $800 and I wonder what experiences have been had between the two?
1987 Home market 560 SEL

WGB

Weight difference in my opinion is in thickness of metal in pressure sphere.

I have had no problems with any of mine in three years.

Bill

s class

I've bought a total of 12 Febi spheres, which ended up in 3 6.9's.  10 of them formed complete sets for 2 cars.  One of the red dot ones failed almost immediately, and was refunded by AutohausAZ.  The other 9 are still perfect 3 years later, though admittedly in that time the one car has covered about 6000km, and the other one only about 200km.  The 11th and 12th spheres ended up in a third car, and they struck me as being just a little low on gas pressure from the get-go, but otherwise no problems a year down the line. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

MB_Mike

How do you know when an individual sphere fails? Is it obvious?
1987 Home market 560 SEL

s class

Quote from: MB_Mike on 09 February 2011, 02:23 PM
How do you know when an individual sphere fails? Is it obvious?

Very obvious. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL