News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Diagnosing rough idle – anyone interested in walking me through it?

Started by agav, 02 December 2015, 02:40 PM

agav

Thanks! I'll have a deeper look at which one would fit. Those are reasonably priced I have to say.

For now, put the rebuild Solex carb back in on Sunday, but given that this was my first time taking things apart, might have messed something up. It starts instantly (whoooozaaa!  ::)) but revs really high. I'll check the throttle linkage first next weekend, but maybe I didn't assemble things correctly either on the carb itself.

One thing I noticed - there is a base plate on the intake manifold which had a ton of carbon built up in what I assume is some sort of exhaust return in the manifold. I cleaned that base plate and installed it back with gasket paste because I didn't have the fitting gaskets at hand (they fell apart when I took off the base plate).
1975 W116 280S in Topaz Brown - my project

agav

Another update (I rarely get to work on my car these days, but I hope my progress here is helpful for others in the long run)!

Took the carb out again given my problem with the high revs at idle. Although it is pretty badly warped I think the combination of new gaskets and gasket paste did seem to close any gaps there might be. Strike one (temporary win).

Now to the high rev - it was due to the primary (te small ones) flaps at the bottom of the carb being put in the wrong way. Since they are closed in a slightly tilted position, they afe actually ever so slightly oval and have tapered edges. I had this problem before I took it apart and know I put it back togeher exactly how it was, so I think a previous owner's rebuild must have been the problem. Not they close perfectly and the throttle moves all the way.

Back in the car, running a little lean from what I can hear, but perfectly smooth considering. Letting gasket dry for now and then back to tuning. I did push her in drive and reverse with the foot on the brake and she did not stall or die - baby steps!

I have to say I am starting to feel comfortable working on the old Solex (although this one will have to go eventually due to the warping). Great feeling, starting with no ideas what to do and working it out over time!

I will post more when I had a chance to tune. I also found the vaccuum port on the exhaust manifold and will post some vacuum results.
1975 W116 280S in Topaz Brown - my project