News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

D Jetronic to LH Jetronic

Started by Nutz, 16 November 2006, 08:36 AM

Nutz

Curious if anyone has entertained the idea? I thought of L Jetronic at first but that airflow meter potentiometer flap would choke it worse than the D Jetronic. Aside from the wiring nightmare,it would definately have its benefits. A reference mark transmitter would need to be placed in the bell housing is the worst as far as fabrication.Any thought's ?

adamb

I had a 185bhp 1973 280SE with D-jet. I thought the D-jet system was brilliant. The best part is the amazing throttle response: it's setup to give extra 12 degrees BTDC the moment you touch the accelerator pedal. If I had the space I'd keep a D-jet 280SE in addition to the 6.9 - same shape but totally different driving characteristics.

I recommend you fix yours rather than change it to something else. A good working D-jet set-up is a pleasure to drive.

Adam

Nutz

All my D Jet systems are in excellent working order  ;) I feel the same about D Jet,but I think a LH system would take the engine to a smoother more responsive level.

s class

I have the standard LH setup in my 1992 W140 500SEL.  I can tell you it is brilliant. BUT its costly. The problem is the electronic throttle actuation.  Its a standard problem that the throttle bodies wear, resulting in butterfly flap position errors and poor running.  I've just had to shell out over US$1000 for a new throttle actuator.  I imagine there must exist variants of LH which use a conventional throttle though which would be the way to go for cost reasons.  For performance the electronic system such as on the W140 is superior, because the computer can do clever things with the butterfly to get immediate response, better overrun characteristics etc. 

I will tell you, a properly set up W140 500 has a kickdown behaviour at speed that makes you feel like you've been hit in the chest. 

The hot wire mass airflow meters can also be troublesome, but they are a lot cheaper than the throttle bodies.  Proper operation requires the computer's algorithms to be carefully matched to the engines characteristics.  So if you want to put LH on a 450 for example, you would have to research which of Mercedes' variants will suit best.  It was available on the 3.2 six, 4.2 and 5.0 v8;s and the 600.  I believe that in more recent years theyve used it on a wider variety of engines including fours.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Nutz

;D I've been waiting for you to chime in Ryan. Thanks for the info  8)