The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

D-Jet to Megasquirt conversion

Started by thysonsacclaim, 05 October 2010, 01:18 PM

npk

Thanks for uploading those photos.

Do note the small gap between the trigger wheel sensor from the wheel

SELfor50

Good pics mate.  Was the trigger wheel fabricated by yourself??

Looks like a good setup.  Be interesting to see the figures after a dyno rune / tune.

Cam.

npk

The trigger wheel is actually the original damper(main pulley)...we have engineering workshops here that hopped out the teeth on it

SELfor50

Quote from: npk on 15 October 2010, 07:55 PM
The trigger wheel is actually the original damper(main pulley)...we have engineering workshops here that hopped out the teeth on it

Not bad..  :o  ;)

TJ 450

Wow, I didn't realize it was a modified damper... brilliant work. I would assume that it doesn't hurt the performance of the damper too much with the missing mass?

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

npk

If you notice, the trigger sensor is locked with additional nuts...there are already nut welded on the bracket(but painted in black with the bracket itself)..I locked another nut over them.

As mentioned, we do not want any rattling or movement of the sensor which can lead to misfiring at high RPM

npk

I managed to start the car today....without the belts and coolant, so it was for a short while so that I the heat generated will not damage the engine but long enough to confirm that the conversion is successful.

For the next few days, I will need to to tidy-up the wiring, bundle them together and solder all the loose connections.

I will also convert a BMW electrical fan to replace the belt driven fan(very practical for the HOT and humid tropical climate...and will post some photos soon).

npk

To update, I am trying out the ECU to run with original air temp sensor(I changed the R4 to match the resistance of the sensor).

Added a bank of resistor to convert them low impedance injectors to high impedance(so that the ECU will not burn out).

NPK

pagodino

I am working on a similar projekt. I have a 280 Se 3.5 Coupe (D-jet) with 5-speed G76/27 A5 wich will be converted to MSII. I have M119 injectors (high resistence), M119 fuel rail (the first 2 injctors had to be repositioned 2 cm in back) with the original regulator. Using Bosch TPS from a Alfa 75 (same as Saab), idle sabilizer froma Lancia Y in place of the cold start injector, 2 e-fans (get rid of the visco). My trigger wheel is in the disrtibuto, I took out the "bite" and part of the advance. The trigger wheel is 8-1x2 (hald crank speed) with a Alfa 75 sensor in position. The injector fitting points are drilled out for GPL (gas) valves from e@gas, so the gas jet is in front of the normal injectors, near to the inletvalves. The tech-edge wide band sensor is fitted in the conjunction tube of the two hemisistems. I have all the stuff but the car is still in restauration. The MS will go with 2 different settings, one for the gas and one for GPL, but for legal reasons I will use a second e@gas comuter for the gpl use. I hope to finde a Aloy GPL-tanlk in AUSTRALIA WITH r67  saftey norms for Europe. The GPL setting will be a little different because of the 102 ROZ of GPL an the necessity to reduce advance at highspeed (4dg).

Best Pagodino

koan

I don't understand this part
Quote from: pagodino
My trigger wheel is in the disrtibuto, I took out the "bite" and part of the advance. The trigger wheel is 8-1x2 (hald crank speed)

Is that 8 pulses with a missing tooth at 1/2 crank speed on a 6 cylinder engine?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

pagodino

No, the 3.5 is the m116 if you are comonley know in the W116 350 SE, with D-jet injection. So the 8-1 twice is for the semisequential type of injectioni in theis car. It is possible to go withe MSIII on sequantial injection but it has no vantage an this engines (different for M119 500E/SE). I use the triggerwheel in the distributor because it is visible at all. Only problem is the negative earth injctors on D-jet in despite of the MSII sistem, so you have to modify a little. Possible is in any case an optical trigger in the distributor, up to 36-2x2.

If you want to modifie the engine it is the only way to go, D-jet ist good but not adaptable for more power.

Best pagodino

koan

I saw 280 and the brain ignored the 350 part, makes sense now.

koan

thysonsacclaim

QuoteIt is possible to go withe MSIII on sequantial injection but it has no vantage an this engines (different for M119 500E/SE).

I thought you could, too, and I was going to convert my D-Jet to sequential injection as well because it is more fuel efficient than bank firing.

But... I found out for MSIII + Sequential Injection you need a camshaft rotation sensor and not just a crankshaft rotation sensor. The sensor has to actually be on the cam shaft itself. The computer needs to know exactly when each chamber is ready for a squirt of fuel. That's really the only difference between sequential and bank firing anyway. Bank squirts gas regardless of whether or not the spark is there. Sequential needs to know that the piston is ready to receive fuel, so it needs the more precise camshaft rotation sensor.

Aftermarket camshaft sensors are not easy to find. I'm sure you could modify one off a newer car, but I'm not sure it's worth it. The main thing is sequential saves gas, I don't think power increases are significant.

In any case, you are right. Sequential offers no real advantages. The fuel efficiency increase is not a whole lot and would be less on an engine that is well worn anyway.

koan

Quote from: thysonsacclaim on 02 November 2010, 05:05 AM
I found out for MSIII + Sequential Injection you need a camshaft rotation sensor and not just a crankshaft rotation sensor.

Same signal can be taken from a modified distributor.

Talking to someone about this recently.  He modifies distributors (or has them modified by a third party) by pinning the shafts to disable the mechanical advance and installing two hall effect sensors, one gives a 720 degree cam like signal, the other gives crank position.

koan

thysonsacclaim

Ah that's fanastic koan. I didn't even think about the distributor because I'm removing mine for EDIS coil packs

Nonethless, that's a good bit of information to know in case my parts don't sell on ebay.

My MS project is on hold until I finish the top work, but I hope to have everything running by Christmas or January (depending on cash flow).

Cheers