News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Curious M117 450SE timing chain by Ketten

Started by 13B, 30 March 2008, 04:24 AM

13B

Needing a timing chain for the Team116 car I visited my local dodgy merc parts place and asked if they had a timing chain.  I was advised they has 1 left and it was $90 so naturally I snapped it up.

Upon opening it at home I saw something strange which I wondered whether was normal or not... check the picture:

What you see is blue anodised chain for 186 links (same as a M116 or 350SE chain) and then 12 links in plain unanodise silver, making the total number of links to be 198, which is the required number for M117 / 450SE engine.

All are stamped with the JWIS logo, except for the joining link which is stamped TTC.

Normal or not?  Maybe an identifying method so people don't mix up the short chains with the long ones in the warehouse or something?

Looks like a quality chain, so can anyone think of any reason not to use it?

I.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

WGB

JWIS is the correct M-B original supplier.

I would say the colour change is either to discrminate between chains or to allow a repairer tp easily remove the correct number of links at a glance.

I purchased a JWIS in a JWIS packet for my 450 but it was all one colour and the joining link is usually provided separately - the one with the two tiny c-clips is preferable.

If it has one large clip make sure it points in the correct direction.

Bill

s class

Bill, which would be the correct direction for the single clip - I have this decision to make on my 6.9's chain

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

WGB

First picture shows a single piece clip on the RH Cam pointing in the "approved direction" so that the ends cannot snag on anything when the motor is turning in a clockwise direction

The second picture shows the chain replaced and a twin c-clip joiner in place.

Bill

s class

Thank you so much Bill.  The pictures make it really clear. 

The chain I bought for my 450 has the twin C-clip arrangement, but my 6.9's new chain has the one piece clip.  Thanks for explaining why it must go this way.  This weekend I did debate with myself, but couldn't decide which way was best.  You've put my mind at rest now. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

bolbol

TTC, Ketten is a different company than Jiwis.  I have replaced my chain with ketten for a short time then measured stretch after few thousend  Kilometers and found 3 degrees more stretch. I was skeptical and replaced it with Original MB stock chain, which is made by Jiwis also called Iwis. You will find that Ketten sills for a discount

bolbol

13B

Yes this was quite a find this chain... the box was old and battered, had a sticker on it indicating 186 links... inside it was the JWIS chain inside a MB bag, and the number on the bag (126 272 09 25) bears no relation to a timing chain for a M116 or M117. 

BUT it does have the right number of links for an M117 and is obviously new.  Like I said its stamped JWIS on every link and at $90 I was hardly going to turn it down.

Thanks for the heads-up Bolbol that Ketten makes discount sills, plenty of 116s have rusted out sills and I'm sure knowing they produce them would be a huge benefit.

Ian.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

WGB

Quote from: bolbol on 04 April 2008, 03:06 AM
TTC, Ketten is a different company than Jiwis.  I have replaced my chain with ketten for a short time then measured stretch after few thousend  Kilometers and found 3 degrees more stretch. I was skeptical and replaced it with Original MB stock chain, which is made by Jiwis also called Iwis. You will find that Ketten sills for a discount

bolbol

Did you replace the Cam shaft Cogs at the same time.

A lot of apparent stretch can come from a new chain on old cogs settling deeper into the grooves.

Bill