News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Cruise control actuator testing

Started by 1980sdga, 28 November 2011, 09:08 PM

1980sdga

I went for a test drive and all I seem to have is accelerate. It doesn't lock onto the speed, nor does it do anything else but at least it's sort-of alive...

It seems like my amp is dead.

I'm going in...

It looks to be in great shape. My ACC amp had some pretty obvious cold joints and such but the cruise amp looks pristine. It is covered in some sort of lacquer or something and it smells like a transistor radio from years ago.   I cleaned the contacts and put some dielectric grease on the plugs and tried another test drive.

I went on the highway where I could cruise "the double-nickle".  Nothing... It would accelerate but wouldn't lock.  As I returned home I tried it again at 25mph and it worked  :o  I managed to keep it engaged by using the stalk to accelerate back to speed and it held speed for about 5 minutes and dropped out on a slight downhill. Now nothing except for accelerate. 

I removed the amp after returning home and it was cool. I couldn't find any hot spots.

Maybe check the connection at the speedometer, fuse, ground, etc. and see how it goes.

Big_Richard

1980sdga

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 06 December 2011, 04:54 PM
re-cap and blanket resolder required - theres no avoiding it  8)

theres a thread on here somewhere that lists all the values and where they go.

Wonderful!  I've searched and searched... Still searching.

WGB

The silver box is called a Cruise Control Amplifier and here is MT's original thread giving all the values of the capacitators.

http://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/i-pulled-out-my-cruise-control-module/

It is difficult to get caps that are exact and you may end up with an amplifier that is not as accurate as the original but it should work.

Bill

Big_Richard