News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

cruise control

Started by Pete49, 01 October 2018, 08:54 AM

Pete49

Hey guys I have the option of getting a cruise control from a W116 280E. Will this work with my 450SEL? Any info on how to remove and fit?
thanks.
What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
Edward Langley,  Artist (1928-1995)

floyd111

The CC's are all the same. But, some parts may not work anymore. There are many detailed posts on this forum about restoring and repairing CC's. Make sure you buy cheap if you can. Get every bracket that even looks like it belongs. those can impossible to find. The cables are also very unstable in supply, because some of them , just like the brackets are NLA. So, get what you can, read the posts here and check what parts are faulty. Find replacements or repair methods for what's missing or broken. The guys here have cracked the electronic issues and know how to repair them. If you're a lot smarter then me you may even understand some of it. I don't, haha!
Then install. The big actuator still pops up in NOS at times, not even sure it's NLA, but always 500usd-up. It's worth fixing the old one if possible.

TJ 450

This could be done for sure, but in my opinion the cruise control is more trouble than it's worth unless you are cruising along relatively flat roads.

It's all analogue in its operation so correct component values are crucial for it to operate correctly. It is mostly either bad electrolytic capacitors or dry solder joints that cause the issues

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

ptashek

Gasoline CC amps are the same. Diesel CC amp is different. The actuator was available new as of last year, for crazy money. There's an easy way to test these to verify if a new one is indeed needed.

Then CC cable was NLA for at least 6 years now.

The amps can be repaired very easily, and cheaply, and I've posted a long thread around that with troubleshooting steps and full component list.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Pete49

Thanks fellas.  The unit is cheap (free) out of a mates parts car and I'll make sure I get all the bits.
. I will give it a go and see what happens.
What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
Edward Langley,  Artist (1928-1995)